Anybody looking for an aquatic turtle? ( mine are now gone) Lounge talk

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I have two that came from my wife’s classroom.

One comes with a complete setup ( and a reasonable rehoming fee) male full grown yellow belly turtle

One is just the turtle ( free with proof of him going to a good home) male red eared slider

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Lloyd, not interested in these... presume they have been rehomed already. Was just asking how difficult are these types of turtles in general? Any recommendations... Aquarium size, accessories, filtration, lighting, etc. ?

Reason I am asking is because I have been looking at an African Side Neck and doing research. I would consider adapting a 90 gallon for one. I actually have an FX5 canister sitting around too. Would have to make a special spraybar and adapt intake but a possible idea in the works.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Turtles are super easy to care for.... same water change schedule, good food with some treats. You will need a basking area, can be one that floating on the top of the water. I used a in tank heater, then a dual light setup with one bulb being UVB and the other just a high intensity heat light,

ive never looked into the side neck turtles so I wont speak to them, but we gave ours mixed fresh greens, turtle pellets, frozen krill as a treat every now and then, and some fruits that were recommended to us.

Super easy!

mid you want to check out some common red eared sliders, Martin Henry’s just put in a pond with 5-6 red eared sliders ( all adults ).

with ours, we also kept a sailfin pleco in with them to control algae and eats the left over mixed greens

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
And yes, I’ve sold both of them!

on another note, there is still a group on Facebook I belong to with an extensive care documents resource center.... if you want anything specifically, I can take screen shots for you!DC6373F5-FA6D-4CAA-8982-4F322DACD14D.png

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
And finally the one that should help you the most... you’ll need to zoom in to see it!

92ED15AF-4501-4D2E-8476-6E48D200620A.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I was looking at pre-made basking platforms but I like the diy pvc stuff a bit more. Its kind of all dependent on what happens with my trimac. I know it has some sort of stomach issue with a white poo. Ive done parasite treatment but I am going to try a food/medicine mixture and see if it helps.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I was looking at pre-made basking platforms but I like the diy pvc stuff a bit more. Its kind of all dependent on what happens with my trimac. I know it has some sort of stomach issue with a white poo. Ive done parasite treatment but I am going to try a food/medicine mixture and see if it helps.
What in the heck is going on with that trimac?!?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
What in the heck is going on with that trimac?!?
It has had weird poo for a while now, shedding that white stomach lining and not a good eater. I dosed for parasites with prazi and did metro along with Epsom salts. Still has poo issues. Reading up on it, its not always internal parasite, sometimes its hex and you need medicated food. Problem is this guy is not a good eater so I will have to do my baby syringe of food/medication and force feed it.

It also seems to have black stripe. https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/10-2-7-black-stripe/
I
t has a black vertical line on one side of its body that is not a stripe.

I have meds on order and am doing a force feed treatment. If this doesn’t clear up the poo issue and the fish starts gaining weight and eating right, then Im getting rid of it. I will let someone else try their hand at it, because I have made up my mind on a final treatment and what Im willing to spend time and money on it. This fish should not be a high maintenance fish, but it has been.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@lloyd378, you asked about the trimac... here is a pic during water change this morning
IMG_20210201_094552987.jpg
This fish get large water changes every two to three days. It gets fed pellets which sit in the tank all day but will get eaten before lights go out. It acts as if hungry and hits the food hard, eats a few and then they float in tank all day. I feed again later and it hits the new pellets hard and then the rest sit until evening when blue light goes on and it eats all the soggy floaters. The tail has the bumps still but not inflamed or fuzzy anymore.

I started my medicated food mix today. I have a mix of Seachem metro, focus, kanaplex along with garlic, nls Algaemax, vitamins, probiotic, bloodworms, brine shrimp. Its a nice boost and should do the trick. I do this force feed medicated food treatment every other day for at least three treatments. This was the same thing I did for the Pearsei when it had the wasting away disease and the Regani that had duck lips. Both recovered well and lived on for years. Hope is the trimac gets better and becomes what he should be.

Last edited:

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Dang, that poor fish went sideways! I’ve never seen the black vertical bar before

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Dang, that poor fish went sideways! I’ve never seen the black vertical bar before
Ive seen a pic on mfk some years ago but when I tried going through and search for it, I could not find it. Probably not using right phrase to look for it, besides the fact they rebooted things a couple times and the pictures are probably gone by now. Ive never really heard anything about it but the one article I posted is the closest I could come to it.
https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/10-2-7-black-stripe/