Any Seachem Safe users?

Madness

Staff member
An even cheaper way to remove chlorine and chloramine is sodium thiosulfate. I use this now.

Madness

Staff member
Dissolve the dry crystals in water and use the solution to remove chlorine/chloramine from tap water. Use one drop of the solution per gallon of tap water (or one teaspoon per 100 gallons). Water with high chlorine content may require more. You can use two drops if you're not sure about your water supply. The crystal dosages below are measured by dry weight not volume. The solution measurements are liquid volume. Make up the stock solutions following these guidelines:

Dechlor Crystals - 0.5 oz crystals - Makes 1 cup (8 oz)(236 ml) stock solution
Dechlor Crystals - 2 oz crystals - Makes 1 qt (32 oz)(4 cups)(946 ml) stock solution
Dechlor Crystals - 4 oz crystals - Makes 0.5 gal (64 oz)(8 cups)(1893 ml) stock solution
Dechlor Crystals - 8 oz crystals - Makes 1 gal (128 oz)(16 cups)(3785 ml) stock solution
Dechlor Crystals - 1 lb (16 oz) crystals - Makes 2 gal (256 oz)(32 cups)(7571 ml) stock solution
Dechlor Crystals - 5 lb (80 oz) - Makes 10 gal (1280 oz)(160 cups)(37855 ml) stock solution
Dechlor Crystals - 10 lb (160 oz) - Makes 20 gal (2560 oz)(320 cups)(75710 ml) stock solution

iandraco

cichlid-gal said:
iandraco said:
i use it exclusively.  Bassetman tipped me off to it when i was buying some fronts from him.  i mix it in an old prime bottle.  since 1/4 tsp treats 50 gallons, and 1 cap full of prime treats 50 gallons i add a cap full of water for each 1/4 tsp of safe and use it just like prime...........i do slightly rounded tsps of safe to offset the displacement of the powder in the water though.  
Clearly you have been doing this for a while and not had any problems but I was wondering if you had checked with Seachem on the "longevity" of the mix like this.  This sounds like a good way to mix it and store it but I would just wonder about it losing its effectiveness or if that is a problem.  Just curious.
i only mix up what i will be using for that days water changes. forgot to add that. safe is the same as prime, except that it does not have the stabilizer additive. i googled it and seachem says not to store it for more than a week if i remember correctly.

cichlid-gal

iandraco said:
cichlid-gal said:
iandraco said:
i use it exclusively.  Bassetman tipped me off to it when i was buying some fronts from him.  i mix it in an old prime bottle.  since 1/4 tsp treats 50 gallons, and 1 cap full of prime treats 50 gallons i add a cap full of water for each 1/4 tsp of safe and use it just like prime...........i do slightly rounded tsps of safe to offset the displacement of the powder in the water though.  
Clearly you have been doing this for a while and not had any problems but I was wondering if you had checked with Seachem on the "longevity" of the mix like this.  This sounds like a good way to mix it and store it but I would just wonder about it losing its effectiveness or if that is a problem.  Just curious.
i only mix up what i will be using for that days water changes.  forgot to add that.  safe is the same as prime, except that it does not have the stabilizer additive.  i googled it and seachem says not to store it for more than a week if i remember correctly.  
OK...good to know...thanks iandraco!

cichlid-gal

Here's an updated Safe Dosing Chart with the measurement key at the bottom.  I ordered in some of those nice little measuring spoons that Betty posted up and added them to the key also (they are labeled tad, dash, etc.)  

REMOVED FOR CORRECTIONS

cichlid-gal

It has been brought to my attention in another forum that apparently Seachem Safe is sold in different sized containers and some of those containers have different dosing than my chart.

I set up my chart with my container of Seachem Safe...the 1kg/2.2lb container. So for further disclaimer, please do not use my chart unless you have this formulation/container of Safe as I haven't looked at those other dosings and was unaware of them. I don't want anyone to lose fish because of an incorrect dose.

I may redo this chart or I may pull it totally. Still deciding on that one.

KaraWolf

I wouldn't pull it completely!! Probably pretty helpful to lots of people just label it with the exact formula/size you made it from :) with a reminder that other sizes have different dosing requirements

cichlid-gal

Thanks Betty for that info. After further info it seems the dosing changes on the website were being discussed as far back as late 2012. I purchased my container from Big Al's Pet Supply in August 2013. I received nothing from them about the dosing directions being different or incorrect on my container of SAFE. I will be contacting Big Al's and filing a complaint. I thanked the gentleman on the other forum for bringing this to my attention and apologize to any who used my chart which clearly is incorrect as the dosing is quite different on the website from the packaging instructions.