Any Seachem Safe users?

Betty

Staff member
Just wondering how you use this stuff?  Do you add it to the tank in powder form or mix it with water first?

I've been mixing enough to treat the entire volume of the tank with a cupful of water, then pour it in the way I use my liquid dechlorinator which is to add most of it in when I start to refill and then the rest periodically as it refills.  

The smell is awful!!  I opened the container at the bathroom sink and was worried what the next person who went in after me would think. :face:
Even with the lid on, I can still smell it.

bassetman

I have used it for years I just add to any turbulent area it dissolves well. Much less expensive than using prime.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I switched over to safe quite a while back. Very economical, I get it online at Kens.

I mix the powder into a measuring cup of new (tap) water right. And then add it right after my water change. I used to put the powder directly in but I did not like that it did not seem to dissolve quickly or that the cichlids were trying to eat it.

Betty

Staff member
Thanks for the replies.  Bassetman, that's what I tried the first time and it's how I would prefer to do it, but like DMD, I noticed my cichlids going for it like it was food, so I thought I better dissolve it first.  

DMD, you add it after the water change?  I've been dosing mine when I start refilling.

I too, am a fan of Seachem Safe. And I usually just do what you all do, mix it in a smaller amount of water, and pour into the tank.

But ever since I've been working at Aquarium Co-Op, I am convinced that our water is so clean, that the chlorine levels are so low, that it doesn't even impact our tanks... granted, I'd still use seachem safe in my own tanks, but that's just because I have a butt ton of it. =P

bassetman

Some fish go for it but I have never had any ill effect. By all means do what you feel best about. Another way to add is to put it in the hang on filter if you have one . This eliminates the fish chasing the occasional crystal.

Madness

Staff member
One more reason why I like wet/drys or sumps, I add it to that and have no issues.

I 2nd what Madness said. Ever since I added a sump to my 8 foot long tanks, I've realized that I can just add the powder into the sump without worrying. :D

cichlid-gal

Betty said:
Just wondering how you use this stuff?  Do you add it to the tank in powder form or mix it with water first?

I've been mixing enough to treat the entire volume of the tank with a cupful of water, then pour it in the way I use my liquid dechlorinator which is to add most of it in when I start to refill and then the rest periodically as it refills.  

The smell is awful!!  I opened the container at the bathroom sink and was worried what the next person who went in after me would think. :face:.
Even with the lid on, I can still smell it.
Looks like you got lots of replies Betty. I too just started using this a while back. Mostly on my big tanks as the measuring down on dosing seems easier on them than on some of the smaller tanks...the amount will get pretty small for say like a 20G tank. We have just been adding it in powder form as we refill, some when we start, some in the middle and some closer to the end. No problems so far.

Betty

Staff member
It seems that either way works fine.   My tanks are all 75 gallons or less and most have canister filters.  Donna, I'm even using the Safe on my 10 gallon tanks. I had to do a little math and I bought a set of measuring spoons that are really small. A pinch treats 15 gallons, a dash treats 30 and a tad will do 60 gallons. :D 

Thanks again, everyone.

On a serious note about measuring, Betty, have you really figured out the ratio of amount of powder to use with a 10g tank?  If so, would you let us know it?  Reason being is that I'll start using it soon in my 5g and 8g tanks and that would give me a head start on figuring the dosages to use.
Thanks in advance...!

cichlid-gal

Here you go Ron...These are my calculated figures so you might want to double check but I think I did the math right ;) 

REMOVED SEE LATER POST

cichlid-gal

OH...and I should have added this to the chart

1 Tsp = 1 teaspoon
.75 tsp = 3/4 teaspoon
.50 tsp = 1/2 teaspoon
.25 tsp = 1/4 teaspoon
.13 tsp = 1/8 teaspoon
.06 tsp = 1/16 teaspoon
.03 tsp = 1/32 teaspoon

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Betty said:
DMD, you add it after the water change?  I've been dosing mine when I start refilling.
I dose mine as Im refilling. I meant after my gravel vac

iandraco

i use it exclusively. Bassetman tipped me off to it when i was buying some fronts from him. i mix it in an old prime bottle. since 1/4 tsp treats 50 gallons, and 1 cap full of prime treats 50 gallons i add a cap full of water for each 1/4 tsp of safe and use it just like prime...........i do slightly rounded tsps of safe to offset the displacement of the powder in the water though.

Betty

Staff member
Oh, I see, DMD.  

Ron, Cichlid-gal's chart looks like it's about the same as what I was figuring.  I ordered some small measuring spoons because my standard kitchen measuring spoons only went down to 1/8 tsp.  These spoons measure as low as 1/64th tsp.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009X1P9S/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Safe.html

cichlid-gal

iandraco said:
i use it exclusively.  Bassetman tipped me off to it when i was buying some fronts from him.  i mix it in an old prime bottle.  since 1/4 tsp treats 50 gallons, and 1 cap full of prime treats 50 gallons i add a cap full of water for each 1/4 tsp of safe and use it just like prime...........i do slightly rounded tsps of safe to offset the displacement of the powder in the water though.  
Clearly you have been doing this for a while and not had any problems but I was wondering if you had checked with Seachem on the "longevity" of the mix like this. This sounds like a good way to mix it and store it but I would just wonder about it losing its effectiveness or if that is a problem. Just curious.