Any Puffers?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Any body raise freshwater puffers?

Looking for an idea for a 29g tank occupant, maybe a Mekong or Congo. No fish that will outgrow the tank, no brackish, no pea puffers (just too small)

Like to hear your feed back if you are a Puffer owner and what you would suggest for a 29G.

fishfreak360

I have a figure eight puffer in my 50 gallon hex tank along with 4 angels 3 clown loaches 3 dojo loaches an upside-down catfish, a rubberlip pleco, a peacock eel and a hillstream loach. They all do great together. I personally like my figure eight he is a little shy but has a unique personality. Plus it interesting watching him eat snails. Why not try a few loaches and some tetras that would look pretty cool I think.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for your puffer experience. The figure eight are very nice looking puffers. The research Ive done says they are a brackish fish that can live in fresh. But for best results to raise them in brackish.

I watched a fahaka puffer the other day at A Place for Pets and totally fell in love with the way its eyes moved around and how it changed colors. The little guy even tried to bite me through the glass. This is as owner responsive as my cichlids. This species just gets too big for me, I dont have the room to dedicate another large tank to it.

I found another called a hairy puffer that might work out in a 29g.

fishfreak360

Mine is thriving in my tank and it's not brackish, I didn't want to add any salt hence I've read loaches are sensitive to salt idk if that true or not maybe I have just gotten lucky and picked the one puffer fish that likes freshwater lol. You could do a puffer and mollusk as those are brackish fish as well.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The info on the figure eights is a bit confusing because each website says something just a bit different. Some say definite brackish, others say freshwater that will do better in brackish. Whatever the case, I just dont want to do the brackish myself.

And to be honest the figure eight just looks too good. I really want something more freakish looking like a Congo or Hairy puffer. Something that is almost so grotesque you have to look twice. I know it sounds strange, but Ive already got my 210g set up in the living room with my large colorful cichlids going in there that are sure to impress. This is kind of my own little office tank, a fish solely based on personality rather than looks.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Wow there dosent seem to be any other puffer owners here...

Ive seen the Congo for sale along with a Mekong. Have not seen a hairy yet so dont know what kind of price those would be. I really can not believe how predatory puffers can be. I saw a video of one come out from being buried and just tear into a fish. That was intense. Any other puffer owners? Come on tell me about them, even if they are only pea puffers.

Ashley17

i love my grenn spotteds :) but they are brackish :) but my favorite my loaches do good in brackish clowns and kuhlies... :cheers:

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I'm on the opposite end of pea puffers. I have a mbu puffer that is currently 6 inches. He now has the 300 galoon to himself besides 2 brochis corydoras and a bristlenose pleco. Tried everything as clean up crew, but they were all too aggressive for him at feeding time. Goldfish would steal scallops, shrimp etc right out of his mouth.

I've had him since 1.5 inches, got him super tame. Too tame really. As he won't fight for food, thus the slow growth since even 3-4 inch goldfish out compete him for food. No problems anymore though. He's now putting on an inch a month.

Madness

Staff member
Puffers? Seriously Puffers? :sleep:

Just one of those fish I dont see anything cool about them. But thats just me. :D Enjoy all you puffer owners. :D

Kruz253

For the People out there looking For Puffers, Aquarium Parardise has Several different Species in stock. Indian Dawf Puffer, 3 Green Spotted Puffer, Pig Nose Puffer, Hairry Puffer (short hair), and The Dragon Puffer :D . That for Freshwater this week tell Thursdy.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I know the type of puffer I am looking at are total lumps that just sit there until feeding time. It would be in my office upstairs where I dont need a super active fish. Or I could use the 29g to grow out something...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Spyral said:
Hairy Puffer..lol.
I could probably just buy one of those Koosh balls and put it in my tank, it would look just like a hairy puffer and be just as active.

sonnys503

I have a FAHAKA puffer, he's pretty cool, but too dam aggressive.
I had it in my CA tank, it bit most of the CA's tails and fins so I took him out.
I have it separated in a small crate, within the CA tank.