Any foreground plant ideas?

I've recently been looking at my tank and I just figured out what it is missing. Foreground plants. My tank is a 55 gallon long dirted tank with a cap of pool filter sand and it is fitted with a four foot double tube fluorescent light fixture. I am currently dosing trace weekly. I would not be worried about fish eating the plants but I do want them pretty hardy and fast growing. I want it to get about 4in tall max and create a carpet. I am willing to trim as long as it doesn't melt back very much when I cut it. I was thinking about some sort of crypt but I would love to hear your suggestions.

julzhull

I bought a few crypt wendtii brown and they are filling out a corner of my tank really nicely. Almost like a carpet. I could have bought a handful and filled out some good space. You could try dwarf sag. A lot of people carpet with that. I have it in one of my tanks but I think I need to be better at dosing fertilizers to get that going better.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
upload_2017-4-10_11-48-39.png<=== am currently in love with THIS plant, but knowing the owner, it's probably requiring CO2 n such.

I bought a few crypt wendtii brown and they are filling out a corner of my tank really nicely. Almost like a carpet. I could have bought a handful and filled out some good space. You could try dwarf sag. A lot of people carpet with that. I have it in one of my tanks but I think I need to be better at dosing fertilizers to get that going better.
I think I will consider getting some. That is a very good suggestion.

L190

you can try crypt parva but it is a very slow grower. other fast growing options are dwarf chain swords,
Ranalisma rostratum (which looks like dwarf chain swords but is shorter), or hair grass

julzhull

Yes that looks like buce and does black titan ring a bell? I aleready have some in my tank but it's just surviving and not thriving and that's fine with me.
I'm having that issue with some buce I bought. I decided to splurge on some pink martini buce and I don't think it's grown in the several weeks that I've had it.

Mike16T

View attachment 3847<=== am currently in love with THIS plant, but knowing the owner, it's probably requiring CO2 n such.

Lol! It's a bucephalandra... If you can find a huge clump (Which will be pretty expensive), that would be a nice carpet. I am currently attempting to grow crypt parva and crypt parva "Mini" as a carpet plant, but the are much slower to grow than bucephalandra. You can try to grow Ranalisma Rostrata as a carpet or Marsilea minuta (slow grower also)

Mike16T

I'm having that issue with some buce I bought. I decided to splurge on some pink martini buce and I don't think it's grown in the several weeks that I've had it.

I have pink martini also, No pink leaves sprouting yet. Pink leaves will appear on certain condition..

I have several types of bucephalandra.. You can call me addict with it. =P

you can try crypt parva but it is a very slow grower. other fast growing options are dwarf chain swords,
Ranalisma rostratum (which looks like dwarf chain swords but is shorter), or hair grass
I was thinking about hair grass but it is too skinny leaved for what I want but I might try the swords.

julzhull

I think I will consider getting some. That is a very good suggestion.
I preface this with: I know these are bad pictures. And don't mind the snails.

The first is when I set up the tank in January, the second is now. I did root tabs when I first set it up. And very rare liquid because I forget.
image.png
image.jpeg