Anubias in a Tanganyikan Tank...

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Last year I tried to grow giant Val in a 125-gallon tank (pH~9) containing Xenotilapia sp. 'Kilesa' and Ophthalmotilapia nasuta 'Magara.' It didn't work out so well. Since then I've tried growing Anubias, with greater success. Encouraged, I was ready to try this experiment on a larger scale, but was unable to make it over to the GSAS auction. VElderton to the rescue, who went to the event and was able to procure several Anubias for me, including A. barteri, A. grazers, and A. hastifolia. Here is a pic of that tank in it's current state; I really hope the plants survive!

You can see a large nest the alpha male Magara has dug in the right rear corner; he only defends it whilst actually spawning, but maintains it in good shape all the time. In contrast, the little Xenotilapia males only build nests when spawning, spending all the rest of their time displaying- but not fighting- with each other. Currently have two Magara females holding their first broods. All these fishes are young, and only about half-grown.

IMGP6095.jpg

Betty

Staff member
Nice. I was able to grow some type of anubias in my tropheus tank. They did nibble and scrape algae off of the leaves, but not much harm. I had mine wedged between rocks to hold them securely and up a little closer to the light since I didn't have any special lighting.

Congrats on the holding females!

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I had anubias in with my multies and Cyps until I redid the tank. I may put it back in eventually. When I was in NY I had a client with a 110g Malawi tank that I filled with lace rock and Barterii, Frazerii, and nana. Lighting was nothing special just a couple of flourescent bulbs.