Ants.

ledieudufromage

Ok. Ants are trying to take over below my aquarium. There were a few running around on my Fluval 403 the other day, but I ignored them. Last night I saw this:
133328324.jpg

Yes, that is a nest of ant larva on top of my XP3. And they are now INSIDE of the box on top of my Flu403

I don't want to use Poison, as it is so close to my fishtank. If I pick it up to move it outside and clean it I will leave a trail of ants through my house. Any ideas?

Spray bottle with alcohol?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Could try to use a vacuum cleaner and suck them up first before moving the filters.

GoodnNuff

Ant control

Google ant control. I know there are organic controls that we used to use when I was growing up in the desert to keep the ants out of the house. Sprinkling borax around the home's foundation was one, if I remember correctly. Seems like cinammon or cayenne pepper is another, but I could be wrong. Google is your friend at times like this.

ledieudufromage

GoodnNuff said:
Google ant control. I know there are organic controls that we used to use when I was growing up in the desert to keep the ants out of the house. Sprinkling borax around the home's foundation was one, if I remember correctly. Seems like cinammon or cayenne pepper is another, but I could be wrong. Google is your friend at times like this.
I've used boric acid in the past around my house. I'm just wary of having it loose around the aquarium. I'll try the pepper on top of anything else though.

sandnuka

interesting.... the ants are drawn to your filter.... maybe it needs a cleaning?? Does the filter let out any odor? I went over and checked all mine after reading this thread, and there is no smell or anything that would draw ants to my can filters.... I typically change the media ever 3months.

So maybe you just need to clean the media up... clean the area around the filter, then I dont think the ants should come back if they dont have something that attracks them.

Doza

sandnuka said:
interesting.... the ants are drawn to your filter.... maybe it needs a cleaning?? Does the filter let out any odor? I went over and checked all mine after reading this thread, and there is no smell or anything that would draw ants to my can filters.... I typically change the media ever 3months.

So maybe you just need to clean the media up... clean the area around the filter, then I dont think the ants should come back if they dont have something that attracks them.
Exactly.. there is a food source somewhere around that is why they would even come in the first place.. No reason to find a way to kill or repel them... The best method is to get rid of what is attracting them... hence why i was think diy co2...lol

ledieudufromage

sandnuka said:

They are gone now, but they didn't touch the DIY while they were there. I kept it clean.

The canisters are clean and have fairly fresh media. I think it was the warmth.