Another "Feeding Badis" thread.

EthanG

Just picked up the newest edition, two Badis - one Scarlet, and one Flame Red. I instantly fell in love with their look and attitude when I saw them yesterday, and went to the top of my list of fish to look into getting, and decided to take them home after several conversations with the folks at the Wet Spot and some cellphone googling.

The only competition the badis have for food, is from a school of Neon Tetras. I used 1/2 cube dissolved in tank water that I dispersed using a pipette, trying to squirt some in front of the badis after a couple squirts at the top for the neons. They all got some, and have been picking at who knows what microscopic snails or snail eggs all day as well.

Questions:

I have never used frozen food before. For the neons and badis - is the baby brine enough nutritionally for the badis and tetras if some days I only feed baby brine to everyone? I do plan on trying to distract the neons with flake most days and still feeding the badis some baby brine to keep the frozen food costs down a bit.

Is larger brine shrimp going to be too big for badis?

QwDUtZil.jpg

0ionTiLl.jpg

Next stop = youtube for videos on growing brine shrimp to see if I can pull that off....

Ali

Badis are notorious picky eaters, most won't except food other than live. Blackworms are the standard.

That being said if you've got them happily eating frozen brine I'd start adding in frozen bloodworms, daphnia, etc. Smart to throw in dry food for your tetras first and target the badis with a pipette.

Pleco Jim

Just picked up the newest edition, two Badis - one Scarlet, and one Flame Red. I instantly fell in love with their look and attitude when I saw them yesterday, and went to the top of my list of fish to look into getting, and decided to take them home after several conversations with the folks at the Wet Spot and some cellphone googling.

The only competition the badis have for food, is from a school of Neon Tetras. I used 1/2 cube dissolved in tank water that I dispersed using a pipette, trying to squirt some in front of the badis after a couple squirts at the top for the neons. They all got some, and have been picking at who knows what microscopic snails or snail eggs all day as well.

Questions:

I have never used frozen food before. For the neons and badis - is the baby brine enough nutritionally for the badis and tetras if some days I only feed baby brine to everyone? I do plan on trying to distract the neons with flake most days and still feeding the badis some baby brine to keep the frozen food costs down a bit.

Is larger brine shrimp going to be too big for badis?

QwDUtZil.jpg

0ionTiLl.jpg

Next stop = youtube for videos on growing brine shrimp to see if I can pull that off....
I feed mine fresh hatched BBS and micro worms. Mine refuse to eat frozen. I've tried and tried. But I have mine very happy and healthy for months on BBS and micro worms.

EthanG

I'll be picking up some live food this week. One will eat frozen bbs but the other doesn't bother, and they both pick at stuff all day which looks like they are eating..... But want to supplement to be sure.

I'll be trying some blackworms and possibly rotifers (this is what my LFS carries). And then move into some more sustainable options I can try growing myself.

Pleco Jim

I'll be picking up some live food this week. One will eat frozen bbs but the other doesn't bother, and they both pick at stuff all day which looks like they are eating..... But want to supplement to be sure.

I'll be trying some blackworms and possibly rotifers (this is what my LFS carries). And then move into some more sustainable options I can try growing myself.
I have started using REPASHY super foods. (In the last week). And they have a few diffrent options. I started w shrimp soufle. It's a gel food and you just pinch off a little at a time and drop it in the tank. It doesn't dissolve away very quality ingredients and allows for a natural grazing from the fish. Everything in most my tanks seem to dig it. The plecos, apistos, shrimp, guppies. I notice one of my badis pecking at it this morning too. Maybe something you can look into.

EthanG

I have started using REPASHY super foods. (In the last week). And they have a few diffrent options. I started w shrimp soufle. It's a gel food and you just pinch off a little at a time and drop it in the tank. It doesn't dissolve away very quality ingredients and allows for a natural grazing from the fish. Everything in most my tanks seem to dig it. The plecos, apistos, shrimp, guppies. I notice one of my badis pecking at it this morning too. Maybe something you can look into.

I do have a coupon for a sample of that stuff - I will be sure to try it.

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi EthanG,

I kept Badis Badis for a couple of years. They have big personalities but very small mouths. Frozen adult brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms were too large for the ones I had. I grow white worms are live food for my fish, large adult worms were too big for them but they could eat the small 'baby' worms. You might try Grindle Worms (smaller than white worms) or the micro worms that were suggested. They will eat baby brine shrimp, if yours eat frozen that is great! You might also try frozen cyclops.

Bob

I must have got super lucky, i have Black Tiger Badis and they eat all dry food i throw in. I didn't even know they were picky eaters lol. Good luck