Angel fish

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Now what do I do? I have never got this far.

Now comes the hard part. Angelfish fry are more sensitive than just about any other cichlid- possibly with the exception of discus- and fry mortality will be high, even under the best of circumstances. There are two main issues. (1) Diet. The little angels are tiny, too small to eat newly hatched brine shrimp, so infusoria is the food of choice early on. Culturing infusoria is easy (search online), but it takes some time. Start now. Microworms are another option; you can buy seed cultures on eBay. (2) Water chemistry. Little angels are extremely sensitive to dissolved metabolites, more so than just about any other freshwater fishes. The optimal setup is a bare tank- no substrate, no decorations, nothing- and at least 50% water changes every day. When I was raising angels I did 50% water changes two or three times every day. It sounds radical, but experience has shown that's what works best.

For the best yield of viable fry, removing the eggs from the parents early on and raising the fry in bare, pristine tanks is the way to go. But there is nothing quite like watching an angelfish pair raise their fry, and seeing the little angels sprout their wings is magical.

Don't expect to succeed the first time around. But in all my years of fish keeping, there is nothing quite like raising your own angels. Good luck. :)

IMG_2096.jpg

Last edited:

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Hate half circle aquariums and the distortion of the viewing glass. Moved the fry into a standard 20g. Some fry are swimming but most are still hugging the bottom. Egg sack is mostly gone.
17FE8B1F-DAD1-4F85-9755-69812EE7ADD6.jpeg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Hate half circle aquariums and the distortion of the viewing glass. Moved the fry into a standard 20g. Some fry are swimming but most are still hugging the bottom. Egg sack is mostly gone.

Two competing things going on here- (1) the fry need to be fed at least 2-3 times per day, and (2) the tank needs to be kept scrupulously clean.

Good luck!

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Well, @sir_keith I happened to be out on my way home from work when I just happened to bump into @clownie. He had some fry food and he had just finished clearing a jungle of jungle dwarf sag too. Now these aren’t the anemic ones you see in the big box aquarium stores. Oh, no. These are the male jungle val look like a sissy short dude kind of dwarf sag that is something like 30 plus inches long. Leaving trailers on the surface of the water kinda dwarf sag.
Thanks @clownie it was good to bump into you again.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I have 4 micro worm cultures going now and they are indeed climbing up the sides out of the goo. Sure makes collecting easy.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
That's par for the course on the first try, sadly enough. Are there any left? Even raising just a few at this point is a victory of sorts. :(