Angel fish

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
While aggression is always present among angels it is often mitigated by having enough to spread it around. Unfortunately, my Marble male was killed. He was the largest of the males so I am very surprised that he was the one who was killed. I am assuming that the two silver are responsible as they have been more aggressive than any of the others especially after they paired off. The Marble and the silver spawned together several times but the level of aggression from them does not compare to the two silvers together.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
While aggression is always present among angels it is often mitigated by having enough to spread it around. Unfortunately, my Marble male was killed. He was the largest of the males so I am very surprised that he was the one who was killed. I am assuming that the two silver are responsible as they have been more aggressive than any of the others especially after they paired off. The Marble and the silver spawned together several times but the level of aggression from them does not compare to the two silvers together.

Yes, inbred strains of angelfish tend to be less aggressive than the silvers, which is how this species exists in nature. But you haven't seen anything until you've kept wild-caught angels: a pair of these will demand at least a 4-foot tank for themselves. Years ago I was crossing wild-caught females with black males (the reciprocal cross was impossible because the wild males were so aggressive) with the aim of rejuvenating the gene pool of the blacks, which are notoriously delicate. The black F2's were beautiful, but just as aggressive as the wild fishes. Eventually I had to bring this experiment to an end because I just didn't have enough tanks in my fish room to do it properly, and this was when I was maintaining about 30 tanks. But it was fun for a while. :)

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I moved the heater with the eggs and the female and the spotted male into a 29g with an sponge filter. See what happens. The pair were hiding under the heater last night.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I know this may be off topic but when I was at my LFS last week, their vendor made a mistake and gave them 3-4x the amount they ordered.... they were selling them at 19 each or 3 for $50.... slightly larger than half dollar body sized without the fins.

they were all marbled either black and white or yellow, black, and white.... I was so close to buying like 6 of them to fill the void of my living room tank (125g), but decided against it.

now with this thread being so active, I may have to rethink my decision.... there was one black and white one that had some silver in it, and I was really digging his colors.

the last time I had angels, they spawned twice in my classroom tank but the loaches ate the eggs. I ended up giving the pair to my nighttime custodian who still has them in his basement 75g

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
A guy that used to be on the box that lives out in Spanaway had the coolest angels I’ve ever seen.... they had the longest fins as well! I think they were wild caught altums ( this was back maybe 6-7 years ago so my memory is a bit foggy). He had a school of them in a deep six foot long show tank.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I like having the angels but the work effort to try to raise their fry is to much right now. The plecos are easy since I feed them the same as the adults.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I like having the angels but the work effort to try to raise their fry is to much right now. The plecos are easy since I feed them the same as the adults.

Because angels are easy to maintain and are ubiquitous in the hobby, people tend to assume that they are easy to breed and raise in captivity. That's only half-true: the breeding part is easy, the raising part is a real challenge. In fact, I would say that the two most difficult cichlids to raise successfully are discus and angelfish. Both require a dedicated setup and hyper-compulsive care. It's fun if you're willing to spend the time and effort, but frustrating otherwise. Put in on your hobby 'To Do' list; something to look forward to when the time is right. :)

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I lost my yellow and white angel to aggression last week too ( or at least that’s my guess).

he was beat up and a
Dead when I came home from work on Thursday . I know that it was fighting with my original male to gain top of the pecking order, and I guess it lost.

it was a bummer as those two had really gotten large…. I also lost my super red sev to what I think might have been stress due to my bosmani rainbow always flaring and attempting to nip at it.