And then there was an empty 33G long tank!

cichlid-gal

Thanks everyone. Chad...yes that A. reineckii variegated form is gorgeous. I love the color it adds to the tank. And Angelo...if I can figure out how to get the raw stuff off the camera I'll see what I can do.

Donna, If you have Google Drive, you could upload the files on there, and then share the links to me, so that I can download them. usually, if you have a gmail or any google account, then you should have a google drive account. :D

cichlid-gal

OK...update time again.  This tank is just busting at the seams.  Planning to move everything up to a 75G tank within a month or two.  Hope I can make it that long.  Still dosing dry ferts and traces, running pressurized CO2, lights on 9 hours a day.  Have a little green hair algae starting to show up.  I need to read up on what adjustments to make for that.  No plant changes just lots of growth in everything.  Lost my beautiful red ludwigia...it just faded away :(

Persicaria sp. "kawagoeanum" poking out the top of the tank

cichlid-gal

According to my readings green thread algae is caused by overabundance of iron. Hmmm...I'd up-ed my iron dose a little because I was losing the red plant...yes...question answered. Back to normal dosing of that then :)

A

Anonymous

Nice , very nice! My Ludwigia red died too. It may be something to do with nutrient competition. In my 140 the mosses seem to reach a critical mass, then for no apparent reason will die way back. Then creep forward again. Wierd. ..

Tank looks awesome Donna. I'll be anticipating your new project :)

cichlid-gal

fishNAbowl said:
Nice , very nice! My Ludwigia red died too. It may be something to do with nutrient competition.  In my 140 the mosses seem to reach a critical mass, then for no apparent reason will die way back. Then creep forward again. Wierd. ..

Tank looks awesome Donna. I'll be anticipating your new project :)
Thanks Chad. The 75G will give the tank a lot more room but with it I'll have to learn things over again I'm sure. One question I had was should I move the existing substrate or should I just put new in the tank. I wasn't sure about that or if that Eco-complete can even be "moved". What will be nice is that my sword will have room to grow (if I haven't chopped it to death already). It really is a beautiful plant but is lost in the 33G as there is no where for it to go.

A

Anonymous

I don't see why you couldn't use a new substrate. The new stuff may not be as rich in nutrients as in your 30 but should be suffice. I do notice better growth in established substrates. After a few months organic debris work into a planted substrate making it much more rich.

If you where planing on using the old substrate it can be moved. I've done it a few times, and without rinsing. If you don't rinse it, may take a while for the black cloud of death to settle but your new set up will be near instantly cycled...

cichlid-gal

Thank you everyone for following along on the 33G planted tank journal and my journey with my 1st truly planted tank. As some of you know I have now moved most of the 33G plants to my 75G tank and am starting my planted journey over again and hoping for the best.  I started a new thread for the 75G tank ... you can find it here 75G Planted tank thread

For this journal and in closing of it the 33G long tank has been converted to low tech planted tank as most of the plants I had in it were moved to my 75G tank.  What remains from the original setup is a big bronze crypt, some Hydrocotyle leucocephala and an E. kleiner bar.  I also replanted a few of the pygmy chain sword.  Lighting is now a Current LED and no CO2.  The other plants were pulled from my 9G nano and one wood piece with anubias from one of my 20G tanks.  The pieces filled the tank right up.  

Fish stocking will be my golddust mollies, dwarf panda guppy babies, threadfin rainbows and purple harlequin rasboras for the time being.  I will have to see how this works.

Not sure what I will do, if anything, for ferts in this tank.  I was thinking maybe Flourish as I had ordered some erroneously when I was first getting ferts in for the original 33G tank and planting.  Maybe 1 or 2x a week of daily dose.  I'll see how that goes.

Final pic ... the new low tech setup.  I still love this tank  :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

And again...thank you everyone for all your comments and support of me and this 33G project. Without your help I could not have had the successes that I did. Love you all  :cheers: 

Livebearer

Very NICE DONNA!
I too am dealing with the hair algee sindrome but have leaned to live with it. PULL< PULL< PULL
I found that the light spectrum has everything to do with it. I don't import ANY plants that had this growing on them including spores.
Its also the harder water too.
Question??? Does your fixture have the blue LED actinic feature on it???

A

Anonymous

Awe.... in closing? It's more like " An Evolution of a 33 gallon long" ;)

If the plants do okay and start to fill out under the current lighting perhaps update? I would be interested.

cichlid-gal

Livebearer said:
Very NICE DONNA!
I too am dealing with the hair algee sindrome but have leaned to live with it. PULL< PULL< PULL
I found that the light spectrum has everything to do with it. I don't import ANY plants that had this growing on them including spores.
Its also the harder water too.
Question??? Does your fixture have the blue LED actinic feature on it???
Thanks Livebearer.  I have done a bit of reading on the green hair algae and as I stated above, most of what I found indicated that an overabundance of iron can be a key factor (and this makes sense because I had upped my dose of iron because of the red plants dying back thinking that would help them)...anyway...here's a couple of what I think are the better sites for research and solution purposes on algaes, causes and resolutions

http://www.guitarfish.org/algae.  

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/algaepedia/full_view_algae.php?item_id=81&algae=Green

Having now moved my plants to my 75G tank I had the opportunity to clean what little visible green hair algae I had out.  I'm unsure if that will do the trick or not.  And setting up the new tank is a whole new journey.  I may have various algaes abound...I had brown algae obliterate my 1st plantings in the 33G.  Not sure what I will run into with the new 75G.  

Spores and not importing plants with them? I am uncertain how I would tell if plants had "spores" from algae on them...my assumption is that they would be microscopic or very small.  As a new planted tank person, I sourced my plants from multiple locations: pet stores, auctions, here on the box, other forums.  If plants came to me contaminated with algae, unless I could see it, I did not notice. And I'm uncertain how you would know when purchasing plants, other than disclosure from someone, whether your plants had "spores" or had been in a tank with algaes.  I think most people trying to learn how to grow plants and planted tanks fight algaes at some time, its a learning experience.  In the end, its one you hope you will win :)

LED...all my LED's have blue lights in them.  Some have them as part of the standard color spectrum, others have them as a seperate switched option, like night/day.

And Chad...as always...thanks.  If there is something worth posting with the changed up tank I'll do it and keep things updated but my thought was that it will become rather static...LOL...anubias and javas are slow to change, at least in my tanks and waters they are.