Albino sterbai fry

L190

So here is a version of a sterbai Cory you don't see everyday. I bought a group of these Cory late last summer. The seller said they were ready to breed. I put them in a 40 gallon tank, conditioned them with live foods for 1 month and nothing happen. I gave up trying to breed these guys thinking they were too young to breed and threw then in the 260 gallon pleco tank. While they were in the pleco tank, they ate whatever the plecos ate, pellets, market shrimp, squid, clams, tilapia... I notice 3 weeks ago that they were getting big, 2 of them looked like they had dropsy. I netted them out, which took a very long time, and added them in a 20 gallon long.
While they were in the 20l, i fed them things like blood worms and krill pellets and didn't do a wc for 2 weeks. The tank looked pretty gross after the 2 weeks. Right when I was about to do a wc, I notice lots of eggs on the glass. I proceeded to do a large water change to hopefully induce them to deposit a lot more eggs. They deposited only a few after the wc, some of which I scraped off and put in a specimen container with methylene blue.
Today they have hatched. A lot of the eggs that I didn't scrape off hatch too. Now there are a bunch of balls with tails swimming around the tank. I quickly set up another 20 l to throw the adults in.
So in the Cory fry tank, I am raising some betta rubra fry, albino Cory sterbai fry, super red pleco fry and green dragon fry.

P_20170315_095856.jpg P_20170315_095837.jpg

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
So here is a version of a sterbai Cory you don't see everyday. I bought a group of these Cory late last summer. The seller said they were ready to breed. I put them in a 40 gallon tank, conditioned them with live foods for 1 month and nothing happen. I gave up trying to breed these guys thinking they were too young to breed and threw then in the 260 gallon pleco tank. While they were in the pleco tank, they ate whatever the plecos ate, pellets, market shrimp, squid, clams, tilapia... I notice 3 weeks ago that they were getting big, 2 of them looked like they had dropsy. I netted them out, which took a very long time, and added them in a 20 gallon long.
While they were in the 20l, i fed them things like blood worms and krill pellets and didn't do a wc for 2 weeks. The tank looked pretty gross after the 2 weeks. Right when I was about to do a wc, I notice lots of eggs on the glass. I proceeded to do a large water change to hopefully induce them to deposit a lot more eggs. They deposited only a few after the wc, some of which I scraped off and put in a specimen container with methylene blue.
Today they have hatched. A lot of the eggs that I didn't scrape off hatch too. Now there are a bunch of balls with tails swimming around the tank. I quickly set up another 20 l to throw the adults in.
So in the Cory fry tank, I am raising some betta rubra fry, albino Cory sterbai fry, super red pleco fry and green dragon fry.

View attachment 3729 View attachment 3730

That is so exciting!!!! Congrats!!!!!

17mars

Congrats! I know I tried to get fry from my jullis forever. They would spawn frequently but never hatch no matter what I tried. When I quit trying, they started hatching and now I have a ton. Contrary little things, aren't they?

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I want a nice little tiny school of corys of some kind. Suggestions for fish I can actually GET?

Loren

Agreed. I have both hastatus and habrosus and they are adorable and full of character.

And depending on where you thinking of putting them shrimp safe.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Agreed. I have both hastatus and habrosus and they are adorable and full of character.

And depending on where you thinking of putting them shrimp safe.

Oooo...the hasbrosus are winning this fight, it seems.

I'm not putting anything with those shrimp - except the snails that are already in there, @Loren

I'm thinking of a nice 3-some for the 20 Long.....

17mars

Oooo...the hasbrosus are winning this fight, it seems.

I'm not putting anything with those shrimp - except the snails that are already in there, @Loren

I'm thinking of a nice 3-some for the 20 Long.....

One cool thing about shrimp, they really do pick fungus off of cory eggs but don't eat the eggs. I've watched them do it. In fact, the first fry hatched in the shrimp tank when I put a plant leaf covered in eggs in it.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I'd suggest 5-6 hasbrosus at a minimum. They're so fun to watch and don't take up too much room.

What else goes in the 20g long?

Well now there's six puffers in there (pea puffers) and one betta male and my Endler fry that I'm growing out. And snails of course. I could use a bit more clean up crew......

julzhull

Well now there's six puffers in there (pea puffers) and one betta male and my Endler fry that I'm growing out. And snails of course. I could use a bit more clean up crew......
Your betta leaves your fry alone? Mine is such a hunter I don't think he'd leave fry alone.

L190

Just an update, my albino sterbai fry are growing but very slowly. I had some eggs from my bronze Cory I threw in the tank. They were laid 10 days after my sterbai but now they are 5x the size of my sterbai.