air pump for sponge filter

sandnuka

Ok, So In my fish room I have several tanks and each have sponge filters.... I had just used cheap air pumps, mostly all had 1 nosel, so could do 1 sponge (my best air pump had 2 ports).... well, petco/petsmart sell there own brand of airpumps with four ports for 24.99/26.99..... I hooked it up, it had awesome air pressure, I got to free up electical outlets, plus im sure I am saving on my power bill!!!! really, I was shocked how much air pressure came out of each one, most are stronger than my single nosel pumps. Very impressive for 25 bucks!

Just thought I would let everyone know one of my secrets.
suspect.gif

alexmuw

What's the wattage difference?

I have 2 tanks running off of one pump right now. When I switched from 2 pumps to 1 pump, I only saved 1 Watt.

Anyways, good to know those Petco pumps are good. I saw them but assumed they were too good to be true.

I might switch some of my Chinese made pumps for them, but my USA made pumps (Apollo) are staying put.

sandnuka

ok, not sure about the wattage... but I was running 3 pretty big old fashioned guys... so sure I saving some wattage.... and it definetly has a hum to it.... actually its louder than the three I had, but there is a air control valve, and you can crank it down a bit, makes a HUGE difference in noise. So, if I was to crank it down to about the same amount of pressure I was gettin from the older ones, its quiet, but I dont mind the HUM, I like the FLOW!

sandnuka

But thats for 100 gallons and only two nosels... mine is for 212 gallons!! 4 outputs!! and right now on sale for 19.99 online!!! PETCO.com.....

icer711

yes this may be true but it will push air to the bottom of a 400gl tank with ease and that is with the pump on the floor.... wetspot was using it on there cichlid tank for a while :D... but 20 bucks buy a few and have extras

sidekicking

What I use to do if my air pump was making to much noise...I would just throw an old t-shirt on top of it and it would bring the hummimg down LOL :p
Problem solve