african lung fish

A

Anonymous

i guess im partial because i have one that is 3'+.

his name is damien,

a friend of a friend gave him to me a year ago or more.

quite different than everything else out there.

very sneeky.
i once watched him sneek up on a one eyed gold fish that was 6"+.
it didnt stand a chance.

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/kHD1MK3xBsA" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

Wolf-Keeper1

That's kinda cool. Can you tell me a little more about this kind of fish? I had the chance yo buy one but didn't know too much about them. How big do they get? Are they as mean as I've heard? I talking about mean not just territorial but out right pick fights. Do they do good with any fish? Are they hard to maintain? Anyway cool little video.

A

Anonymous

yes easy to take care of.

mine is over three feet and is heavy. ive been told he could grow bigger but im not sure at all. i think hes a PROTOPTERUS ANNECTENS so he should be full grown.

needs a big tank. really big. mine is too small but its what he came in and has been in for a while.

he gets real active around a week after his last water change so i drain it down to about 4" and fill him back up adding dechlorinator till its full and then i turn the wet dry pump back on. so thats pretty easy.

i only keep goldfish with mine because he will eat anything that swims past his face with a big gulp.
i dont suggest keeping any fish you value or like with them. i tried to keep a pleco with damien and he left him alone for a while (from 3" to about 6") but then he chewed it in half. tried a foot long girrafe cat for a night and that was when i learned he had teeth. damien chased the cat around and bit him all night long untill i noticed what was happnin and i pulled the cat out of the tank. cat was covered with bites. looked like two paralell slashes a half an inch apart and four inches long.

.rite now he eats a handfull of 26-30 per lb. frozen shrimp and a pinch of massivor delight every other day.

he jumped out of his tank one morming when his lights came on. lucky for him i was standing there watching. also a good thing i went to cabelas and got a rubber salmon net just for him prior.

people freekout on how big he is. one friends wife thinks he will jump out of his tank and get me in my sleep one day. i have assured her he cant do stairs though.

its a real joy when you catch him pooping, its F*****G gross and dirtys the tank for hours.

other than that hes cool. i pet him when he comes up for air some times. he feels slimy but doesnt leave slime on your fingers like other fish. maybe no slime coat?
about as easy as it gets since mine tells me when he wants me to flush his toilet.
power outages dont really bother him much, since he breaths air and i keep his water between 75-76f. with the ph around 7.0.

hope that helps

:D

A

Anonymous

Your talk about the lungfish poo made me think of this thread a buddy of mine did on mfk, 164 posts all about lung poop.. LMAO !!!
wow at least im not the only one to say "WTF?"

the first time i ever saw him go i was showin him to my buddies super hott girl friend and she almost puked.

before that i kept askin my girl friend why she kept poopin in the fish tank. :tongue: