Acrylic VS Glass Aquariums

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Is there some reason why folks prefer one over the other? Other than the scratch factor - which can be mitigated with some caution when cleaning algae or whatever. Acrylic would also be a lot lighter to move around... What else?

L190

Also keep in mind that with acrylic tanks, they glue the "panels" together so that it is bonded with each other. If it is done correctly, it will not leak. With glass they use silicone which can start leaking over time.

dwarfpike

Biggest thing for me isn't even on that list. Seeing the water line ... drives me nuts in acrylic tanks (unless they have a full hood that hides it). That's also why I'm not a fan of those fancy new rimless glass tanks.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Biggest thing for me isn't even on that list. Seeing the water line ... drives me nuts in acrylic tanks (unless they have a full hood that hides it). That's also why I'm not a fan of those fancy new rimless glass tanks.

I never thought of that either but now that you mention it, seeing the water line kind of bugs me too....I try not to top off though and wait for water changes...but sometimes, I just HAVE TO fill it back up.