Acclimating new fish

sandnuka

Depends on the bag too ash.... if the fish were only in there for a couple hours there wont be a spike. If you got your fish shipped and they have been in there for a long period of time, there will be a spike and you could loose your fish.

Ash-Rayne

All of the professionals that I have dealt with have always recommended adding tank water to the bag to prevent shock due to differing water chemistry. The breeders I've ordered fish from in the past have always recommended adding tank water to the bag and sometimes removing water from it as well very gradually over a period of hours. This is the first I've ever heard of not doing it. What kind of "spike" are you talking about? Sorry...I'm just confused how diluting dirty water with healthy water would make the dirty water more toxic. :/

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
larry.beck said:
Actually, Ash-Rayne, adding tank water to the bag can cause a toxic spike in the bag.
So can merely opening the bag and allowing oxygen to hit the ammonia. Most of the "spiking" does not apply for fish simply brought home from a local fish store. Only applies to fish that have been shipped over a couple days, or large quantities of fish, say a bag of 250 feeder goldfish.

Ash-Rayne

Ahhhhh ok...well, if it's actually just the oxygen hitting the ammonia, then I can see that. I've just never heard of that happening before by adding tank water to the bag. Then again, most of my experience is with bettas, which are shipped in individual bags and I've never had any other kind of fish shipped directly to me. hmmmm

larry.beck

As I recall it can also occur when higher pH water mixes with lower pH (the pH in the bag having been driven down by the accumulating toxins) - the toxic spike will occur. Again, more applicable to bags where the fish have been in for hours/day than a simple 15 minutes ride home.

That said, it takes me 2-4 hours to get home from my LFS and I feel I'm approaching the point where the risk of toxic shock could occur.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
larry.beck said:
As I recall it can also occur when higher pH water mixes with lower pH (the pH in the bag having been driven down by the accumulating toxins) - the toxic spike will occur. Again, more applicable to bags where the fish have been in for hours/day than a simple 15 minutes ride home.

That said, it takes me 2-4 hours to get home from my LFS and I feel I'm approaching the point where the risk of toxic shock could occur.
when acids push the ph down, from ammonia etc. it does becoem more toxic when exposed to the air. When you suspect this is the case. it is better to use an ammonia neutralizer in the bag, and acclimate, or simply put the fish into your quarantine tank. Situations should be avoided where these methods are needed.

You could purchase a bottle of bag buddies, that would aid you in getting your fish home with limited ammonia. Here in conway Every fish goes home with bag buddies be it 5 minutes or 5 hours. And longer trips get larger bags, more water, and a cooler.