Acara 'Bucketkopf' (Bumphead) ?!?!

A

Anonymous

I've aquired one but unable to find any reading. Like to find scientific name, possible other common name, additional species information.

Anyone have any knowledge to this guy? Any help appreciated.

A

Anonymous

I was really hoping you would jump in dwarfpike, Thank you! I was told they where hard to find and he should color up to a nice blue color. Can't wait for him to color up now :)

dwarfpike

Sorry for the quick post, was in a hurry last eve.

You can tell it's a Laetacara araguaiae by the way the lateral band curves down onto the gill plate, L. araguaiae is the only species in the genus has that. Also, until they were formally described, they did go by Laetacara sp. 'Buckelkopf.'

While you tank is plenty big enough, keep an eye on your curviceps if you still have him as L. araguaiae are quite a bit more aggressive than their passive cousin.

With your black substrate, he might get more of a purple (like mine did) than blue, but they come from 3 separate river basins so different color forms are quite likely.

zach_discus

Very nice dwarf cichlid. Love mine, I have 19 in a 90g comunity with 5 angels, a breeding pr of Guainacara, and a few mixed male apistos. I bought 20 originally hoping to get a couple prs. Only ended up with 1 female out of the 20 :). Due to the density of males, mine tend to ignore each other, or form small groups to explore for more food. They are voracious eaters and eat everything that goes in the tank.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys I appreciate the input!!

I haven't seen the curviceps for about a week. I've been doing a lot of aquascaping and hope he's just hiding out in a cave. I will keep an eye open.

A

Anonymous

Still no sign of my Curviceps.

Just got back from Aquarium Zen with a couple female Laetacara araguaiae.