A net that really works!

Livebearer

I bought a new product called ("Infra-red, Quick-net) by penn plax just to try it out. It has red mesh and is suppose to lessen the fish seeing it. I have had it in the drawer for 2 month now and needed to move some fish to another tank just the other day. They say a bigger net is aways better, Well the young swordtails I was chasing for 3 minuntes or so refused to get caught in my 5" blue net. I decided it was time to try this
4" infra-red net out. The 2 fish I was after were caught in just 5 seconds! each!! This net really works!!

A

Anonymous

I have 3 of them, I would have to agree red nets do seem to work better.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I think it is to catch fishkeepers! :tongue: 

One pet store was using these and I did not notice any improvement in the persons ability to catch the fish faster. I have heard some fish react negatively to the color red also. I think I had read something about a persons arowana not eating when he wore a red shirt.

Madness

Staff member
It was a fluke either that or you were not catching real fish. LOL Those red nets are a fluke. I stick a 12" net (red) into my fry tank with over 500 fry, and every single one of them see it coming and flea. The red net is a scam it is not true. The reason you caught your fish quicker is 2 reasons 1) you took a quick break to collect yourself 2) you wore the fish out trying to catch it for 3 min.

And 3 min is nothing, Ive used my red net for 20 min trying to catch 1 10" fish. Can you say SCAM :)

Hey I fell for the idea and bought 3 of them. :suspect: 

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Madness said:
Hey I fell for the idea and bought 3 of them. :suspect: 
So the net does not disappear to the fish.... but your money does! :joker: 

MY EEEEEEEEEEEYESSS!!!

ahhh___rage_face_by_samusmmx-d5g5zap.png

Betty

Staff member
I have one of these and didn't notice any difference either. I even tried to slowly sneak it in when they weren't paying attention and they still saw it immediately. :| 

Livebearer

Thanks Guys!
I got it free so there!!! and yes I had it on hand and didn't give them any breaks! I was catching these Tiger swords in a 20L planted tank, not an easy feat!

escapay

Good to know about this. I have black, blue, and green nets. No red ones. I did see the red net available on Amazon - so excellent to learn it is just a gimmick. That is too bad though, would be nice if it really worked like it was supposed to.

A

Anonymous

Livebearer said:
Thanks Guys!
I got it free so there!!! and yes I had it on hand and didn't give them any breaks! I was catching these Tiger swords in a 20L planted tank, not an easy feat!
I picked up mine only because it was on sale...

Individual experience may differ. I have fish that drive right into the net, so I assume its because they don't see the red as well. Some of my monofilament fishing line is a reddish color & claims fish can not see it, now if it's true or not... IDK.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I can say I've exclusively tried out red nets at my shop. Not only do the fish see it coming just like any other net. The frabric used to make the net is much more stiff than usual. I gave away most of the nets after a few weeks of using them.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I have found that my red net works exactly like my blue and green nets. The best net I have is an extra large pond net that is white colored with a wooden handle. They see this coming to, but because it's so deep they don't realize they have been caught until it's too late. I also like the fact that it's made out of a soft mesh substance that is far softer than the average net, and the mesh is so right you could catch brine shrimp in it. Bought it at a garden nursery. But back to my point, the red works just fine for a net, but I feel that the fish see it coming as easy as any other net I own

nick_76

I don't know why anyone would think the red nets would not be visible to the fish...even if the color wasn't they would still see something moving toward them blocking their view of the rest of the tank.

I prefer to use the two net system- use a normal net to drive them into a giant net

the coolest "nets" ive seen are the large plastic gourds they use at kings discus..usually captures the fish fairly peacefully