A little preview of my Neolamprologus multifasciatus colony

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Not recommended with shell dwellers as there are reports of leleupi pulling adults from shells to eat the fry. :( too many fishes and not enough tank space

Oh yes, despite their (relatively) small size and deceptively innocent coloration, N. leleupi are a handful, and can be quite nasty. :sick

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I also saw this today and really thought about buying it... the one I saw actually had brighter colors!

F713A1D2-F4BE-4931-814A-D730ED1AC6F6.jpeg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I also saw this today and really thought about buying it... the one I saw actually had brighter colors!

View attachment 7377

Many of the Victorians are quite beautiful, but they do best in species tanks, and wouldn't be good company for shellies. They all have a body plan that is similar to the riverine precursors of all the haplochromines in the Rift Lakes, like this one, Astatotilapia burtoni (formerly Haplochromis burtoni). This was the first non-Congo African cichlid that I ever kept, back in the 60's. :eek: Check out the egg spots, very characteristic of this species.

b969c23bdea852a6678a3a7c1cfeff37.jpg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Many of the Victorians are quite beautiful, but they do best in species tanks, and wouldn't be good company for shellies. They all have a body plan that is similar to the riverine precursors of all the haplochromines in the Rift Lakes, like this one, Astatotilapia burtoni (formerly Haplochromis burtoni). This was the first non-Congo African cichlid that I ever kept, back in the 60's. :eek: Check out the egg spots, very characteristic of this species.

View attachment 7378
That is a beautiful fish!!!

and totally agree with you, I would have to setup a different tank to keep that one

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
That is a beautiful fish!!!

and totally agree with you, I would have to setup a different tank to keep that one
And that's how we end up with a dozen tanks and still are unable to keep everything we want! lol

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Haha, I just downsized from 12 to 9 haha. Please don’t let me talk myself in a new 10th tank. Haha

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Haha, I just downsized from 12 to 9 haha. Please don’t let me talk myself in a new 10th tank. Haha

I have downsized over the years as well. When I was breeding angelfish, I must have had close to 30 tanks, but most of those were in to 20-55g range (genetic crossed require lots of grow-out tanks). That was fun, but at the end of that experiment I transitioned over to Tropheus, and was producing lots of fry that I sold to APFP and other local stores. Never fussed with shipping, nor did I need to. At that point the tanks got larger, but there were still about 20 of them. I scaled back in preparation for my move to Poulsbo 9 years ago, and am now where I want to be- 13 tanks, mostly in the 55-125g range, with four Tropheus colonies and the remainder devoted to Tanganyikan sand-dwellers. This is just the right size for me; I have enough tanks to play, but maintenance is not a chore. :)

Betty

Staff member
I think you should! You had those little orange colored super long bodied rock dwellers at one point if I remember correctly . I’ve always loved the look of them
I still have three of them. :)
I gave away hundreds back when they were breeding regularly! So many babies.

This was 10 years ago! Pics of the breeding pair and some of their offspring. http://www.wafishbox.com/forums/threads/neolamprologus-leleupi.1017/#post-116090

I like the fish that spawn in shells or caves and care for the young. Fun to watch.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Update video... the first fry are grown a bit and out all the time now... the latest batch is too small to see via video