A little preview of my Neolamprologus multifasciatus colony

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
17D5AA75-488C-4950-B1B6-45B00D4DC912.jpeg B0DA0805-AE28-43C2-B95C-82FE127A09B6.jpeg C7834714-B605-4753-B206-AAFA279C1793.jpeg 0913E219-929D-4C8F-A087-1B334D517362.jpeg 6E3F784D-15B7-482C-8DA9-2CE566589987.jpeg 7AA7C870-C35D-4DF3-A4DB-84417C1568F9.jpeg Thanks to fishguy78, over the course of the last few months I’ve been able to start a colony of multies in my bedroom 75g.

I currently have 3 separate little colonies going on (4 adult/ semi adult per colony) with a tiny little alto calvus that will one day keep the colony population in check ( he’s too small at the moment).

there is also an adult syno cat in there but he hides all the time. He’s 3 years old, white base with black spots and 3.5” total length. I can’t remember the actual name, but I got him at AP.

the tank currently has 53 shells for them to live in , a couple of lace rocks and in the near future I may buy some plants for the tank as well.

I hope you enjoy the pics .....0

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Very cool! Ive always been interested in shell dwellers but at this point dont have any free tanks... and that's how we all end up with a dozen tanks before you know it. lol

Great pics too!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Forgot to mention that the calvus and compressiceps are some of my favorite looking cichlids and if they got a foot long I would definitely own one.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Forgot to mention that the calvus and compressiceps are some of my favorite looking cichlids and if they got a foot long I would definitely own one.
From what I’ve read and also heard... I think my little one will top out at about 5”..

it would be cool to have 2-3 in your 65b with a bunch of lace rock caves stacked up for a natural environment style setup.....

I once visited a guy who had a colony of goldish / yellowish compressiceps that were full grown down to babies in his 125g.....

I knew at some point I’d have to get one ....

I picked up this little guy at Martin Henry’s for $14 and when I got him they were having a sale so I paid just about 1/3 price after taxes!

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
That's a nice looking gaggle of fishes you got there. I would definitely add some anubius or java fern to the rocks. Crypts do fairly well in hard water to if the multies don't dig them up :rolleyes:. Your cat sounds like either a multipunc or a petricola.
Malawi eyebiters get good size.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
That's a nice looking gaggle of fishes you got there. I would definitely add some anubius or java fern to the rocks. Crypts do fairly well in hard water to if the multies don't dig them up :rolleyes:. Your cat sounds like either a multipunc or a petricola.
Malawi eyebiters get good size.
I think it is a petricola now that I think about it!

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
@lloyd378, is that an old green jager heater? Still ticking after all these years?
Yes, I got that one, used, for my 16th birthday( I turned 42 this year... it came to college with me and back, and too many houses to count!!!!! It does have a build up of hard water stains on the bottom but I’m not going to touch it as “if it ain’t broke, down fix it”. Haha

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Aww, cool little fishes. I used to keep brevis, but only had males so never had any babies, but did get my calvus to breed a few times. This makes me want to have shellies again.
I think you should! You had those little orange colored super long bodied rock dwellers at one point if I remember correctly . I’ve always loved the look of them