A friend roped me back into fish keeping

anderson_p_r

Howdy all, my name is Pat and I'm in Olympia. A few months back a friend gave me a 10g tank that she didn't know how to take care of and woke the monster in me. That 10g is now a mineralized soil tank, moderately planted, DIY CO2, DIY light hood- in progress, 52w CFL 6500K, ghost shrimp, RCS, oto's, SAE, assorted snails. I also already have a 20g long waiting in the wings with no real concept yet.

I'm excited to get back into the hobby, I haven't had a tank for a few years and this is my first time keeping shrimp. Looking forward to meeting and possibly working with some of you.

Lamental Jester

Allow me to be the first to say....
tumblr_lsv55taSXN1qii6tmo1_500_zps62916c24.gif

CrazedAce

Welcome! There are quite a few of us in the Olympia area. I have a 10gal with RCS as well, though their tank mates are just a pair of BN plecos. Hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do!

BillHN

anderson_p_r said:
Howdy all, my name is Pat and I'm in Olympia. A few months back a friend gave me a 10g tank that she didn't know how to take care of and woke the monster in me. That 10g is now a mineralized soil tank, moderately planted, DIY CO2, DIY light hood- in progress, 52w CFL 6500K, ghost shrimp, RCS, oto's, SAE, assorted snails. I also already have a 20g long waiting in the wings with no real concept yet.

I'm excited to get back into the hobby, I haven't had a tank for a few years and this is my first time keeping shrimp. Looking forward to meeting and possibly working with some of you.
UH OH planted tank guy! :]

You'll be happy to know there's a lot of us here southbound :O

Can you tell me what you did to the "mineralized soil"

Anyways, welcome!
If you ever want some free floaters or plantlets hit me up lol

Welcome to WaFishbox! It's nice to see that you're back in the fish keeping hobby once again! You'll have a blast with all the new possibilities of keeping shrimp. I have some Red Cherry Shrimp in all 5 of my tanks, and they just breed and breed and breed and breed... =P

Share some pictures of your tank(s)!

As for the 20 gallon long, you should definitely do a planted tank with it, with more mineralized soil. :D

Something about Long tanks makes it perfect for plants, IMHO.

anderson_p_r

I largely followed the directions from a Aquatic Plant Central post made by Aaron Talbot

Works really well. It's best luck I've had with a planted tank, but I've heard of people having odd problems further down the road. We'll see, so far I'm sold on it.

I definitely plan on doing a the 20g as a planted. I have to finish up this 10g first.

I have to wait 7 days to post links, I'll get photos up when that's lifted.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
That is a good friend to rope you back into the hobby. :welcome!:

anderson_p_r

Do you Olympia area folks ever do a get together? A fish keepers pot luck? That could be fun. I know I'm interested in meeting others who enjoy the hobby and picking their brains.

CrazedAce

anderson_p_r said:
Do you Olympia area folks ever do a get together? A fish keepers pot luck? That could be fun. I know I'm interested in meeting others who enjoy the hobby and picking their brains.
There are people around here that carpool up the the GSAS meetings in Seattle, that's the closest thing to a get together as we have. Everyone knows everyone, but I've never seen two other members excluding myself in one area lol. I'm still pretty new myself though.

BillHN

CrazedAce said:
anderson_p_r said:
There are people around here that carpool up the the GSAS meetings in Seattle, that's the closest thing to a get together as we have. Everyone knows everyone, but I've never seen two other members excluding myself in one area lol. I'm still pretty new myself though.
Idk bout meetings (too late at night lol).. but I took a fishboxer / gsas members, and met up with Lj and went to edmonds for a fish adventure last weekend.

Lamental Jester

BillHN said:
Idk bout meetings (too late at night lol).. but I took a fishboxer / gsas members, and met up with Lj and went to edmonds for a fish adventure last weekend.
Yes, good times! You left out the awesome feast we had in chinatown!

BTW, anderson_p_r, where did you get that pic of me and why are you using it as your avatar? lol ;)