A crashed tank and an interesting event

Spyral

So, my 20 gallon with the Saulosi in it had a major problem. I did a water change and cleaned the tank and it was super cloudy, so I added some API Aqua Clear to clear it up. Well, when I added it, the stuff turned super white and cloudy, then it looked like little white balls of congealed powder was falling from the cloud as it spread. Immediately all of the Saulosi sank to the bottom and were gasping! I mean, they were dying! I grabbed the net and filled a dip and pour with water from the 180 and scooped everyone out. Silly Saulosi actually buried themselves to avoid the net..this made it a little easier to catch them, except for the last fish. She took a while to find. I got out the Leopard Frog Plecos as well and put everyone in the 180. I have NO GODLY IDEA what the hell happened in that tank, but it turned toxic in seconds.

Anyway, the Saulosi took to the 180 well. The LFP's just kinda found a place to suck on the huge sponge filter.

So, I go to check on them an hour later and the Saulosi are playing follow the leader and swimming into the current of the powerhead on the monster sponge. They looked great and colors are vibrant, crisis averted.

I check back another hour later. My males are now very obvious, 4 of my 10 are definite males.

Check back another hour later and 2 of them are doing the dance in an open sandy area! She is shaking around in a circle, then he shakes in a circle and it goes on and on. She colored up super yellow with dark black stripes and her dorsal fin went pretty much solid black. I tried to get the video camera out in time, but by then I had disturbed them and they were doing the dance in a little cave created by the rock work.

How weird is that? Maybe that tank wasn't as healthy as I thought. No idea what happened with the API Aqua Clear. I just know they would be dead if I didn't act quick. they seem a lot happier now!

sandnuka

Hmm...... You know, I expierence something similar everytime i have to move fish..... If they go to a new tank, they start spawning..... its really weird, but then they usually stop after the first week..... I wonder, is this a new way to make fish spawn? Move them to a new tank? I thought it was always hard and stressful on the fish, now I am thinkin it makes them horny! lol