75 gallon aquarium stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

seochlid

677B5634-627E-4850-825F-395B6655E54D.png I saw a coffee table on OfferUp, it’s just the right size for a 75 gallon tank, but I was just wondering if anyone could provide some insight on if the table can handle the weight?
Fully decorated 75 gallon tank will approximately weigh 1000lbs
Will this coffee table work as a tank stand?

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
What are the dimensions of the table? If it matches the foot print of the 75/90g, then yes it should be able if the posts are under the corners of the tank.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Maybe? Is it free? I am really hesitant to say try it but if the feet could be removed so that the base sits flat on the floor I think it might work. The issue I see is that the feet are not positioned under the upright portions of the table so as to transfer the weight directly to the floor.

dwarfpike

Not sure if it's just the picture angle but it certainly looks like it's bowing badly in the middle there.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
...The issue I see is that the feet are not positioned under the upright portions of the table so as to transfer the weight directly to the floor...

I agree with Colin, and in my view, this is risky, very risky. Moreover, given the facts that- (1) the tank is only 48" long, while the table is 60", and (2) the only vertical supports that make direct contact with the floor are at the four corners of the table, there is going to be a whole lot of unsupported weight in the middle, this in a table that already seems to be sagging. With modifications and additional supports, this table might work, but as is, I wouldn't risk it. 75 gallons is an awful lot of water to spill on a floor. Good luck.

seochlid

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the insight! I was just hoping for a deal, decided to build one myself. But wish me luck, I’m a total wood-working newbie! Haha.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Thanks guys! I appreciate all the insight! I was just hoping for a deal, decided to build one myself. But wish me luck, I’m a total wood-working newbie! Haha.

Good choice. There are tons of videos online about how to build aquarium stands; it's not difficult. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.