5 Star General

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Been looking at what is common named a ‘5 Star General’ and trying to research the fish a bit.

A few years back I met Will who was a huge fan of these fish and had posted some awesome videos. It looks like he hasn’t updated any videos in four years. I think he is a Fishbox member but I am not sure of his username.

@lloyd378, I know you have kept some in the past... I borrowed your pic. What can you tell me about them?
8A026B8D-E96D-48C5-8808-62C254C7A1E8.png

The fish of particular interest is at Wet Spot, Hemichromis frempongi.

Any information would be appreciated!

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I have a ton of info since I run the hemichromis five spot jewel page. Haha

the hemichromis elongatus is the fish commonly nicknamed “five star general”. It is the smallest of the 3 five spot jewels.averaging 6-7” total length. They are also the most peaceful ( aggression level 6 out of 10) of the 3 species making them good tank mates with a majority of the CA cichlids. There are currently a few different collection points offered around the US by local hobbyists...

next up is the hemichromis frempongi. They are in the middle of all species. They are more aggressive than then the elongatus with a score of 7-8 out of 10 ( think similar to most amphs that aren’t chanco or trimacs). They also grow a bit larger topping out in the 9-10” range. The one nice thing about them is that the get the deepest reds of all the species. If you keep multiple fish, you will want dithers as their conspecific aggression is pretty gnarly. Another point of interest is that they have really only been readily available in the US market the last 5 years. Before that, I think Rapps imported some in back in 2011 or 12.

finally you have the hemichromis fasciatus. These fish are the most aggressive fish I’ve ever kept. They will pin similar sized Dovii / buttekoferi / umbee in the corner. They appear more similar to the frempongi than the elongatus. The differences being their five spots tend to blend together with the help of some black horizontal spotting / lines. On the aggression scale, I’d place them at a 12 out of 10. They grow the largest averaging 12-13” and their bellies develop a more orange color than red. These fish aren’t for the faint of heart. I once removed about 30 from Wills old pair, placed them in my 6’ 150 gallon and within a few weeks, I was down to 5 or six who were performing the purge!!!

the pic you shared was of zeus. He was 1/2 frempongi and 1/2 fasciatus. I owned him for about a year after Will wanted to make sure all of his pairs were pure.

zeus was the best of both worlds. Looked closer to frempongi with the reds in the chest and belly, grew to only 10” but had a mean streak almost as bad as a pure fasciatus. In my tanks he destroyed a flowerhorn, butterkoferi, Red Devil, and a few others. I was able to locate a pure fasciatus female for him . They bred twice but then I came home from work and he had killed her.

after that I kept him solo which I feel ( I hate giving fish human characteristics) that he became depressed . He stopped attacking the glass, stopped eating regularly and died about 3 months later.

what I will recommend to you is that they can be picky eaters so once you get them taking a certain food, they may not accept others. Also, I noticed that none of them enjoyed tanks that were lower to the ground. They also don’t do well being moved from tank to tank.

I will dig up some pics for you, but I think you will like them. They are amazing fish and watching how quickly they swim and the style of “fighting” they do is so completely different than the liplocking big bruisers I was used to.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
This was my male elongatus hybrid ( it was mixed with a frempongi) at full grown 6.5” next to a monster zonatusFB50979C-E857-476B-860B-29989E23A8F7.jpeg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
This was one of my young fasciatus prior to coloring up. You can see in this pic he was about 3” not yet colored up as he wasn’t mature but he was also on the war path as he had the diagonal black line across his eyes. At this size, he was kept with 5-7” CA amphs but eventually I had to get rid of him as he started beating them up .1DB7F554-59E3-434E-96FC-4D7DE3351021.jpeg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Let me go to my group and I’ll snap some pics of frempongi for you

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
And 1 pic of fasciatus ( it appears they are currently not available in the US as they aren’t for sale by hobbyist or on any shop websites). You can see in this pic how their five spots blend a little bit

9358605B-DFC8-4E2D-9927-AA5B486A7EF1.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
WOW! Thanks for all that!

In my case the fish would be solo, likely end up in a 90 gallon with my tanks being at eye level. At this point just a research tangent trying to figure out what I want to do. It would not be moved, the tank it is put in would be his.

The stock from Wet Spot:
Hemichromis frempongi
$35.00 Extra Large (3″+ to 5″) WILD

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Also is Will still in the hobby? Still raising the generals?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
No, Will isn’t in the hobby anymore... he’s working in Portland now and renting an apartment where he can’t keep wet pets. Every once in a while he shows up to Facebook to like a pic or share some info.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So they are generally aggressive but does that mean responsive? Are we talking ‘wet pet’ material? I have kept other wild caught fishes and found most are not as responsive as F1, or F2.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
They definitely act more like CA / SA species. They will come beg from you for food, but won’t glass bang unless they have fry.

they are more interactive that mbunA but less oscars.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So a frempongi even a male (or my rtm female) could stay in a 65B?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I can’t remember the dimensions of the 65b but I do know you could keep a frempongi in a 75g

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I can’t remember the dimensions of the 65b but I do know you could keep a frempongi in a 75g
Essentially a 40 breeder base with a 36 x 18 footprint but taller. My 90’s are essentially a 75 gallon footprint of 48 x 18 again just taller.

If a male Fempongi only hits about 10” or the max size of a female RTM then I dont see why it should not work. Or are they very active, darting around?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Rtm would be better in the 65.... the frempongi swim all over the tank and are super active . They would be better in the 75g footprint