4 Gallon re-scape

thecarl

Today's project: Clean up the 4 gallon.

My 4 gallon tank had become overgrown in green algae and other crap like bladder wart that I just didn't want in the tank anymore. I had two remaining cherry shrimp in the tank so I felt like it was time to fix it.

Tore everything out, including most of the substrate. Put in new substrate and rocks, went with ADA amazon soil to try out. Here's the set up so far, going to let things soak and cycle before I introduce plants and shrimp.

IMG_1297-X3.jpg

Reactions: Bob

thecarl

Did water tests today now that it's sat overnight, ammonia is off the charts (greater than 6ppm), and just barely any nitrates. I expected some bio filter to be working since I didn't do anything to the filter but clean it, but knew this was going to start off toxic.

Wow, all due to the ADA soil? I guess it is a tiny tank. At what ppm does Ammonia start retarding/killing the bio? I forget...

thecarl

I'm pretty sure the bio cycle is fed by ammonia, but in this case there's probably just way to much for a bio system that was used to just a pair of cherry shrimp. I think it could use a bigger media filter, since it's such a little tank. It has a really small cascade 20 on the back, basically aside from moving a little bit of water it's only filter is really the sponge on the intake.

Jeff G.

ADA aquasoil is known to release ammonia for a while upon start up. It can also lower PH. May I ask what the PH is in this tank?

Last edited:

thecarl

water is very soft, PH is about 6.5 so yeah, it lowered it, all these things I did know going into this. :) I think this soil is great for a cardinal or discus tank in the future.

Jeff G.

The relationship between PH and ammonia is interesting. When I started up a small tank with ADA substrate my ammonia levels stayed very high for the longest time. So long in fact I searched out consultation from the substrate supplier.

With consultation I learned about the relationship between soft water with a low PH and the effects it has with ammonia. Infact, with reading learned that under these conditions ammonia turns into what is called ammonium which is non toxic to fish....

Reluctantly I gave it a shot. 6 weeks after start up, PH of about 6.5, "ammonia" levels testing off the charts I tossed in a school of pygmy cat fish. A week later, no fatalities, "ammonia" testing high I tossed in a school of rosy raspora. A week goes by no fatalities. So I tossed in an Apistogramma.

As of today all fish are fine.

Just something you may wish to reasearch.

Also, something that is interesting. Some dechlorinators give false positive reading of ammonia in certain test kits.

thecarl

Here's an update, ammonia is already coming down to a measurable level. Since I was down in Portland today, decided to stop at the wet spot and pick up a 2 for 1 plant deal of crypt parva's. I hear they grow slowly but decided to give them a try for the $4 I spent. Here's a photo:
IMG_7211-X3.jpg

pbmax

Slow like the viaduct project really... :whistle

They're pretty hardy though, so that's a win.

thecarl

Update on the tank's progress:
IMG_1323-X3.jpg

Some true dwarf hair grass, and something on the rock, I can't remember what it's called but it flowers cool so I got it.
Also 10 blue velvet shrimp and 3 Hasbrosus Corydoras. Now I just let it do it's thing. Also, yes the tank is fully cycled now, no more ammonia.

Jeff G.

What light are you using?

I have a small tank too. I've tried 3 different lights now and still trying to find the right fit/illumination to grow MC. The small tank I have gets all funky unless I put a fast growing plant in to absorb excess nutrients. It's kind of annoying.

thecarl

What light are you using?

I have a small tank too. I've tried 3 different lights now and still trying to find the right fit/illumination to grow MC. The small tank I have gets all funky unless I put a fast growing plant in to absorb excess nutrients. It's kind of annoying.

I'm not sure I am grasping what MC is abbreviation for?

I am using a 10" Finnex Fuge Ray I believe? it's one of the original finnex's that came out before the Ray 2 and other models started showing up.