3D background + filtration plumbing.

protocl

I just wanted to share this design. i do not take any credit.

taken from: arofanatics.com - http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441620

DSC05343-1.jpg

DSC03667-1-1-1.jpg

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/61Mmemx3Zbw&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/61Mmemx3Zbw&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Doza

I would never spend that much time on a 3d Background.. So much time had to have gone into that... What size tank was it made for?

sandnuka

Ive made a couple different backgrounds..... that thing is just gorgeous hands down.... they really dont take too much time to make doza.... maybe about a week or so. :)

Doza

yea.. but all this would be in my front room.. no garage and its not that nice out now.. plus the effed up schedule i work it would take 3x as long to finish..

Betty

Staff member
At Home Depot or Lowe's or a home improvement store like those. There are usually large sheets of it in different thicknesses in the insulation area.

Gryphon

Resurrecting an old thread as it pertains to my plans!

Here hopefully soon we'll be moving out of my In-laws place and into an apartment again. (Wife and kid came back from their 6 month vacation in Ohio). Once we get settled in I plan on working on getting my 120 set up finally. I'm planning on doing something similar to this with my filtration pipes inside the background, kinda like this:
15wjqix.jpg

What I'm not sure about, is routing an airline into the return pipe from the filter. I would assume the flow out from the filter should be more than sufficient to prevent air bubbles from going into the filter. I'm also planning on having the return pipes set at a 45 degree angle from the back ground pointing in towards the middle of the tank. I figure a piece of plastic canvas should be enough to discourage any explorers.

Thoughts?

Gryphon

Well, I'm not planning on hooking the air hose into the return line until the last horizontal stretch, and probably around an inch, inch and a half behind the end of the return pipe. What I was fearing is the possibility of bubbles escaping up the return pipe against the flow. Thinking about it now, it shouldn't be a problem providing I keep the end of the return pipe parallel to the bottom, or at a slight up incline to keep the path of least resistance going out the end.

I shouldn't have any problems having the return flow from my filter coming right out of the pipe instead of using a spray bar right?

censeoflife

I wouldn't think so. A spraybar spreads out the pressure. so if your working with higher pressure you may want to spread it out.

Since the outlets face each other they could blow bubbles toward the inlets, but it looks like you have the inlets lower than the exhaust.

are you running pressurized air into the exhuast? I thought you where using a vacuum, letting the water pressuer pull air through the tube.

Even with pressurized air, the force of the water will prevent it from backing down the pipe into the filter.

Gryphon

I'm not sure what size air pump I'll be using, I haven't gotten that far :lol:

I plan on angling the outlets at a 45 degree angle away from the back of the tank, so they're not blowing at the intake pipes. I figure on doing this as a means of getting some circulation inside the tank without having to use power heads. I wasn't sure if having the return flow into the tank with out a spray bar would cause a problem or not.