3D aquarium background longevity?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
This one goes out to the owners of 3D backgrounds... How long do they last?

Does the color fade over time?

What brand of background are you using?

JimA

Mine I bought from Designs by nature. I have had it close to 4 or 5 years now and it has held up great, it was even broken in half when I got it. It holds it color fine, only problem is algae or diatoms growing on it, covers up the actual colors but it also tends to make it look more natural in my opinion.

Pic below I had siliconed the 2 psc together and the buoyancy of the background held it in place, I was doing a water change and the silicone failed after 8 months so I took it out for now. I may go this route again or I may go with the set up in the 2nd pic which I really liked just need to work some things out...

Here is the other way.

You can see where the two psc broke, I weighed them down with landscaping bricks. I am trying to figure out how to do this again with something other than bricks but am coming up short on what to use. Thinking about zinc bars for like crab pots, just don't think the zinc is safe for the tank. The other is plastic coated barbells. It does take quite a bit of weight to hold it down, I could silicone it to the btm and the sides but it would mean draing the tank and a major pain for the most part.

Hope that helps you, from what I have seen and read most if not all backgrounds hold up really well. But they can be spendy.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Thanks Jim! Its nice to have a first hand experience and viewpoint with the product. this is something Ive wanted to do for a while now and want to do my homework first.