33 Gallon Long Planted Recommendations?

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Looking for ideas of maybe unusual or oddball fish for a 33 gallon long show tank. This will be in a living room.

John58Ford

I don't know how densely planted your target is in the end but a combination I don't see anywhere is a group of pea puffers and some colorful male Endler morphs. In a high density long shallow tank that would probably provide a good "come look closer" or "immersive" stocking as both species are entertaining to watch. I believe endler to be fast enough to be safe with the pea puffer and they are available in so many colors. Would work great as a 3rd or 4th tank if you already had tanks full of ramshorn or mts you could toss in for hunting parties.

If it's more of a light planting look at it from across the room tank there are some amazing colors available in GBR lately, they are tall enough bodied to be fun to watch from across the room, thin enough to weave through stems, but not very unique I suppose. Likely rams, guppies and a bristlenose are the stereotypical planted tank trio so I could understand avoiding them.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Looking for ideas of maybe unusual or oddball fish for a 33 gallon long show tank. This will be in a living room.
Fish, as in singular? I've always liked my show tanks to be very active, so have generally gone with multiple pairs and/or schooling fishes.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Ive always been intrigued by the Peacock Gudgeon and thought a small group of these colorful fish would be interesting.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
@John58Ford oh I like this idea. It can be either lightly or heavily planted. Both are definitely options. GBR's are something that hasn't been delved into much. So this is also an idea. Thanks!

@lloyd378 for my own sake I hope he doesn't go with rope fish lol. Too much like snakes! But I of course will still pass along the idea. I just won't be cleaning the tank for him. Haha

@sir_keith typically his style of tanks is multiple fish tanks. I'm not sure he would be opposed to a singular fish though. If it was something with personality like a puffer maybe?

@fishguy1978 you know I'm not particularly sure now. He moved about 6 months ago. I'll try and find out. Thank you for the apisto link too.

@DMD123 I also love the looks of peacock gudgeon! I'll recommend them to him. Or maybe some killifish.

We are down in Grays Harbor county closer towards Ocean Shores. But we have drove for fish before. Just likely wouldn't make a whole day trip for two fish either.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@sir_keith typically his style of tanks is multiple fish tanks. I'm not sure he would be opposed to a singular fish though. If it was something with personality like a puffer maybe?
A solo puffer with personality like a hairy puffer can be fun. They tend to be pretty sedentary in nature unless they think they are going to be fed, then you get some nice interaction. A bit fussy with food in the sense they will probably never pellet train but you can easily use frozen foods like silversides and clams or the good old night crawler worms with them. I think that would be a fun choice!

John58Ford

I was thinking more along the lines of a group (shoal?) Of pea puffer than a single. With a few Endlers in there to break the targeting in a group you may even end up with some breeding, rare in captivity. Heavily planted; a tank like that would be immersive and could suck attention in for hours. But, tiny fish in a long tank is only cool if seating within a foot or two is possible. I have tiny chairs and a light lounge chair we slide from tank to tank in my fish room to watch from close, would work great as a behind the couch tank, or sitting on a room divider near a breakfast nook etc. Not so cool as an entry way tank or one where it would be awkward to pull up a chair. In that case, I would look at larger(for a shallow tank) fish.