$300 for 12 discus

John58Ford

Too bad they're so water picky I could do a dozen, but likely kill them with nitrates, or the plants with a lack of :( the price is outstanding though if I were set up different.

Last edited:

John58Ford

I only have a 70 gallon so I can't handle more than 7. I currently have 5.
I could do the 12 in my 125 but I keep my nitrates in the 20-40 range to keep my phosphate up at 1, where plants can manage. That's due to my no fertilizer philosophy. To keep these guys I'd need to change my water changing schedule, re-mineralizing process and probably start daily dosing phosphate and a few other micros I currently get from my fish food, I worry I'd end up with a not so jungle looking tank in the long run so even though these are fish I love to look at, I'll probably just keep doing it at other people's houses and online with you guys.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Must have sold the discus as the ad only shows and mentions 6 fancy goldfish

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
I could do the 12 in my 125 but I keep my nitrates in the 20-40 range to keep my phosphate up at 1, where plants can manage. That's due to my no fertilizer philosophy. To keep these guys I'd need to change my water changing schedule, re-mineralizing process and probably start daily dosing phosphate and a few other micros I currently get from my fish food, I worry I'd end up with a not so jungle looking tank in the long run so even though these are fish I love to look at, I'll probably just keep doing it at other people's houses and online with you guys.
It's the old conflict between the needs of the fishes and the needs of the plants. That said, there is a thread on here from @Seattle_Aquarist (a. k. a. Roy), who is a prominent member of the GSAS and an expert aquatic plant curator, who took up the challenge of keeping discus in a planted tank. I would be worth trying to find that old thread if you haven't seen it already. :)

John58Ford

It's the old conflict between the needs of the fishes and the needs of the plants. That said, there is a thread on here from @Seattle_Aquarist (a. k. a. Roy), who is a prominent member of the GSAS and an expert aquatic plant curator, who took up the challenge of keeping discus in a planted tank. I would be worth trying to find that old thread if you haven't seen it already. :)
I followed his threads on fishlore on the subject. He's willing to do a different type of fertilizer and care regimen than I am currently. But wow is he good with his plants.