240 tank stand

Ashley

alotadollars said:
i dont weld, i had the wood laying around from a dif project, i think i got it figured out
Yeah no need for the welding. The wood is plenty strong (and looks nicer in my opinion) as long as you have a sturdy plan! Good luck!

protocl

Wood, not for me.

But yea, just as long your design is bulletproof and the materials are plenty strong, go for it.

shua

hey pro, do you trust that the roof over your head isnt going to fall on you? thats much more weight than any tank any of us have on this site, all held up by wood and nails. welds if done buy an amateur can be much much weaker than a properly built wood stand, and as ash stated wood can look soooo much better

no offense just think you live in wood and if its not a trailer its strong so you should trust it when built by a professional

protocl

shua said:
hey pro, do you trust that the roof over your head isnt going to fall on you? thats much more weight than any tank any of us have on this site, all held up by wood and nails. welds if done buy an amateur can be much much weaker than a properly built wood stand, and as ash stated wood can look soooo much better

no offense just think you live in wood and if its not a trailer its strong so you should trust it when built by a professional
none taken.

actually, based on the commercial contrators, dry wallers, plumbers, electricians, interior designers ive met while designing and building commercial kitchens for restaurants and hotels -

20 gauge steel framing and wood are used. like i mentioned, depends on the design.
now, im mentioning a commercial sector. as of course, houses and such would use wood.
when i suggested alotadollars about the welded steel, i meant to have someone else fabricate, like how i did. even though i conduct welding inspections with whatever county im in, along side the county inspector; because i know how to weld and fabricate.

wood, in my personal view is not any higher or lower than stainless steel, galvinize steel....its just my pref.

jlo

protocl said:
shua said:

none taken.

actually, based on the commercial contrators, dry wallers, plumbers, electricians, interior designers ive met while designing and building commercial kitchens for restaurants and hotels -

20 gauge steel framing and wood are used. like i mentioned, depends on the design.
now, im mentioning a commercial sector. as of course, houses and such would use wood.
when i suggested alotadollars about the welded steel, i meant to have someone else fabricate, like how i did. even though i conduct welding inspections with whatever county im in, along side the county inspector; because i know how to weld and fabricate.

wood, in my personal view is not any higher or lower than stainless steel, galvinize steel....its just my pref.
Here what I think about wood and steel.

People who know me. they know I have both wood and steel stand, for wood I do it myself just because I am a house builder, but for steel I hire somone to do it for me. as far as our house is built with wood and nail, that's true and I agree wood can take a lot, but as "Protocl" said is real up to the design, that's why when we built house we have floor plant lay out and everything to make sure the house will stand. I belive the steel will need to have a good design also, but one thing I have to say, steel does last longer than wood, so if you can weld or know someone that can weld then weld a steel stand, or if you can design and built a very stong wood stand then do it, but whichever way you choice, just make sure the stand will stand for years, or.............. This is just what I think about wood or steel.

sandnuka

Dunno how we got from DIY plans to make a stand.... to debating on the pros and cons of wood vs steal? lol..... anyone have any good plans, wood or steal, for a tank??? I was thinkin of makin a stand for my 38gal tall.... 2x4's good enough right??? Are they gonna bow out under the weight?? tryin to save a buck or two, but thinking if my crappy craftsmenship falls apart it might cost allot more to clean up! lol

shua

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/uTmxG4N_V10" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

shua

just a quick search brought this up sorry about veering so far astray.
this is basic framing for my 250 g stand except i put a fat header and crippler were my doors are (by fat i mean 4"x 8")

sandnuka

thats an awesome lil' video blueprint thing! thanks so much for uploadin it... gives me a good Idea how i will do mine, except allot smaller :) THANKS!

Doza

Umm 2x4 will be good for any tank... 2x4 will actually be overkill for your 37gal... personally i wouldnt do anything bigger than 2x4 for anything under like 300 gallons... You can builld a very solid tank with out ever using 4x4's...

Edit... That vid is a good basic guide tho... It shows things i didn't take into consideration on the first 90gal stand i threw together... The biggest thing is not to build it so that the screws are holding the weight of the tank and it is important to have the legs sitting on a board going the length of the stand instead of just 2x4's putting direct pressure on 4 spots of you floor.. Not good at all...lol

larry.beck

Man that stand is way overbuilt! LOL

You can make a stand for anything up to at least a 240 with just 2x4 and plywood. Most commercial stands for anything up to 55 are made from just plywood. The key is a solid design.

I've never seen one with 2x laying vertical across the top like the video shows. It's actually not functional. Glass tanks have a frame at the edge and only the frame actually rests on the bottom. Acrylic tanks require a sheet of plywood with padding on the top.

Ashley

larry.beck said:
Man that stand is way overbuilt! LOL

You can make a stand for anything up to at least a 240 with just 2x4 and plywood. Most commercial stands for anything up to 55 are made from just plywood. The key is a solid design.

I've never seen one with 2x laying vertical across the top like the video shows. It's actually not functional. Glass tanks have a frame at the edge and only the frame actually rests on the bottom. Acrylic tanks require a sheet of plywood with padding on the top.
Well I'd rather be safe then sorry when it comes to 200+ gallons of water that could possibly end up on my floor! And a lot of glass show tanks don't have that rim on the bottom...

larry.beck

Ashley said:
Well I'd rather be safe then sorry when it comes to 200+ gallons of water that could possibly end up on my floor! And a lot of glass show tanks don't have that rim on the bottom...
Yes, sorry if I made it sound like overbuilding was bad, I completely agree. Way better to overbuild than under-build. :lol:

Interesting tidbit about glass show tanks. I obviously don't have any or I would have known. Do they not have any frame on the bottom then? If not, how big do they make them?

Ashley

For sure! The stronger the better! Nope they don't have a frame around the bottom or the top. I'm not sure how big they make them, but we have a 250gallon.