2.5 Gallon Tanks - What does yours look like? (2.5 Gallon Tanks ONLY)

jrmakawoody

I like what you have done with it! I had an aqueon 10 on it when I first got it too lol. The small size makes the crypt look huge (in a good way)

jrmakawoody: Hahaha yeah, once I get that tank established with more plants or something, then i will most likely take out the HOB filter. That filter is so ugly and bulky :( lol

Betty

Staff member
Here are my two.  They are nothing special; I'm terrible with plants.
One has an Azoo palm filter and the other has a small internal filter, I think it's a Tom's mini.

This tank has a small led fixture that has somehow made those permanent white vertical streaks on the front glass. :x 

Yours is looking good!

Betty: Thanks! I love your two tanks! :) Simple can be good too y'know! Hehehe

Here's currently how mine looks, added some Staurogyne Repens, and the water has cleared up substantially, even without any water changes! :D

Mkay, I added some microswords, and some itty bitty echinodorus vesuvius... Myep.

Currently just have 3 little White Cloud Mountain Minnows, but I will eventually put in some shrimp in there... dunno what though. Amano? Maybe. Blue Velvets? Heeeeeeck no... okay maybe.

:D

And here's its new home :D . . . our livingroom!

KaraWolf

Mine XDDD all I need is to go pick up the cherry shrimps! Supposedly it will be ok with 5-6 of them and their babies. idk what I'm going to do if they have a bajillion babies.....suggestions???? it's planted with dwarf grass, anubis nana and moneywort in the back which is already telling me is going to be annoying to maintain because it grows so fast 0.o

It's starting to look the way I want it to look. I added two more seiryu stones in there, and added a back light and light diffusing paper behind the tank. It really gives a "sunset-like" appearance, which I think I like. I might swap the bulb to a whiter one at some point, just to see how it looks, we'll see. BUt for now, I like the warm colors it gives off.

As for the Marimo carpet, it's starting to look bushy, which is great! :) I'm starting to think that I can take out the 4 White Clouds I have in there and plop in some Blue Velvet Shrimp (yes that's right. I plan on putting some Blue Velvets in there) . . . Now, if only I could just get a filter that's not so butt ugly!!

pbmax

Looks great! :) You could try one of those mini canisters... I don't have any experience with them, but you could probably hide it better than the one you're using and it would certainly take up less tank real estate.

Suggestion...

Get a small sponge filter. Before placing it in the tank, slit the foam in several places all around it and stuff the rhizomes of Java fern, Anubias, or crypts into the slits. In a little while the filter will look like a thick growth of plants! I've done it and it's fun.

When you take it out to ''clean'', just gently squeeze the sponge in a bucket of aquarium water or under a mild stream of water. This will force you not to squeeze out too much of the bacterial colony, because you don't want to squeeze so hard as to break the plant rhizomes!

It was inspired by Steve Waldron of GSAS and soon to be owner manager of the Zen Aquarium LFS in Seattle.

fishloverRon: Oh that's a great idea! Unfortunately, I don't know if having a sponge filter in a 2.5 gallon would work for me. I tried one of the smallest ones I could find (although, cory does have smaller ones for like a 10 gallon tank I think), and even that would look a bit bulky lol! I do like the idea of placing java fern on the sponge filters to cover them up though! I might just have to try that on a bigger filter for my bigger tanks! :) I think I might go the small canister filter approach, it would fit perfectly behind the shelf :) thanks for the suggestion fishloverRon and pbmax!!

Lamental Jester

I like the light diffusing paper, might have to try that sometime, since you're copying me AGAIN (Blue Velvets) ;)

I understand, imitation is the best form of flattery... let's face it, I AM pretty awesome
awe_zpsa3418325.jpg

If anything, we would be copying pbmax since he is the one that's popularizing shrimp within this forum. Just remember, I copied him FIRST. :-D

Also, I still have more of the light diffusing paper stuff (it actually feels more like plastic) wanna trade some if those clover lookin plants for some light diffusing paper? I could bring it tomorrow at the plant swap if you plan on going. :)

Lamental Jester

Hmmmm, well I was actually planning on bringing the hydrocotyle tripartita as the plant I was gonna swap, not sure if I have enough for both swap and trade, but I'll have to see

A

Anonymous

That looks pretty cool Poke! I think that "moss" stuff is cool. I have the same stuff growing all over a giant piece of bog wood I picked up off a CL add last winter.

A

Anonymous

fishloverRon said:
Suggestion...

Get a small sponge filter.  Before placing it in the tank, slit the foam in several places all around it and stuff the rhizomes of Java fern, Anubias, or crypts into the slits. In a little while the filter will look like a thick growth of plants!  I've done it and it's fun.  

When you take it out to ''clean'', just gently squeeze the sponge in a bucket of aquarium water or under a mild stream of water.  This will force you not to squeeze out too much of the bacterial colony, because you don't want to squeeze so hard as to break the plant rhizomes!

It was inspired by Steve Waldron of GSAS and soon to be owner manager of the Zen Aquarium LFS in Seattle.
This is a neat idea Ron. I am totally going to do this!