What did you do with your tank(s) today?

BPSabelhaus

Back to back days cleaning the decor in the 300. Yesterday was scrubbing down the driftwood and today was pulling out the fake rock work and giving it a light bleach solution scrub to get the algae growth off it. Super happy with these Universal Rocks products. Love the scale and durability of these. Costly initial investment but going strong.
View attachment 13639

View attachment 13640

View attachment 13641
I think you left the fish in the bleach too long ;)

It's a real looker for sure :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I think you left the fish in the bleach too long ;)

It's a real looker for sure :)
lol, the hard core bichir keepers will do them on garnet sand, the red really make them color up nice. Mine always looks bleached out on the lighter colored sand I use. But its hard to miss him when he swims around the tank, he is likely 20" at this point

Last edited:

BPSabelhaus

Apparently I did the same thing anyway lol

This one went blue to white over the last week or so. Gotta rinse the cups better I guess.PXL_20240409_192606339.jpgPXL_20240409_192532273.jpgPXL_20240407_033940730.jpg
Same fish a few days ago.

Four leaf clover for Alex.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Stopped by Lakewood Petco and picked up 2 more female boesemani rainbows to help even out the m/f ratio. Now 3 males and 4 females. Wont add anymore fish for a while unless I see the females getting harassed too much, then I will add a couple more females.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So stoked got another larger spawn of sterbai Cory's! Time to grow them out and get some store credit at my local fish store. New fish here I come lol
What do you call a "larger spawn" in terms of numbers? At what size does the store usually take the fish? What kind of credit per fish do they give you? Where, or what stores do you take the fish? lol, I know a lot of questions. having had fish spawn on me before its always interesting to hear how other hobbyists find ways to deal with their spawns.

Oscars Rule

What do you call a "larger spawn" in terms of numbers? At what size does the store usually take the fish? What kind of credit per fish do they give you? Where, or what stores do you take the fish? lol, I know a lot of questions. having had fish spawn on me before its always interesting to hear how other hobbyists find ways to deal with their spawns.
Large spawn is 30 or more to me, they need to be about 1 1/2" to take to the stores. I only have a couple stores that take my Cory's/other fish in Longview wa called the pet works and the other is purrz and paws in St. Helens Or. Most of the time I get store credit and I seem to get more from that about $5-$8 a fish. When I want cash about $4-$6 a fish.

BPSabelhaus

Being a scratching post for a dragon lol

She's such a princess. She could use one of the many scratching spots provided, but she loves to push up against my hand instead. Same with feedings. In a bowl? Nope (not until she's hungry at least) Offer the bowl each piece by hand and she's all about it lol Spoiled.

1000012133.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Large spawn is 30 or more to me, they need to be about 1 1/2" to take to the stores. I only have a couple stores that take my Cory's/other fish in Longview wa called the pet works and the other is purrz and paws in St. Helens Or. Most of the time I get store credit and I seem to get more from that about $5-$8 a fish. When I want cash about $4-$6 a fish.
Ive been to Pet Works in Longview, nice little chain of store with the Olympia store about a Half hour away for me. Thanks for the info, I think we all appreciate that. I had a group of Sterbai but just wouldn’t breed for me but without even trying, I had bristle nosed pleco babies. They were just simple albino’s so not worth as much, apparently I needed long fin super reds to really rake in the money.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Stopped by The Glass Box in Port Orchard this afternoon on the way to friends for dinner. Met up with @John58Ford who picked up my L397 pleco. Just the perfect opportunity since I was already on the other side of the bridge. Was good to see you again John and getting a quick in person catch up.

John58Ford

Stopped by The Glass Box in Port Orchard this afternoon on the way to friends for dinner. Met up with @John58Ford who picked up my L397 pleco. Just the perfect opportunity since I was already on the other side of the bridge. Was good to see you again John and getting a quick in person catch up.
Yesterday I didn't have time for tank work, the little league fields are my third home lately but I was able to go see @DMD123, luckily much closer than usual, which was great for my over booked self this time of year. The little tiger is fitting in well in the 125, as he grows I'm really hoping to get one of the one in a thousand shots of it next to the clown pleco as I think they contrast each other beautifully.

Tonight I'm doing some water changes, and re-arranging the couple dwarf chain swords that my much more social BNP have decided to up-root. I'm pretty sure the planting will work out though, they've only pulled half a dozen of the 30-40 starters I planted(I had started with 6 back when I moved tanks, just hid them in the back) so once the roots start to set it should just be a roller coaster of green. I hope lol.

BPSabelhaus

PXL_20240416_172515821.jpgPXL_20240416_171715086.MP.jpgPXL_20240416_171933203.jpgPXL_20240416_171737285.jpg

Taking some Bettas to Sierra tomorrow. Can't keep em all, but I like these ones a lot.
PXL_20240416_171756732.jpg

PXL_20240416_171936635.jpg

Welp, survived the drop off lol 5 Bettas now at Sierra to find new homes.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Was commenting to the wife that Ive never had as slow a growing fish as my EBJD... going on about 8 months now and I figure its doubled in size. Seems very healthy, outgoing and starting to even up in coloration a bit but just so little still.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Was commenting to the wife that Ive never had as slow a growing fish as my EBJD... going on about 8 months now and I figure its doubled in size. Seems very healthy, outgoing and starting to even up in coloration a bit but just so little still.
That was my experience with them too…. Slow growers but fairly peaceful fish.

MegaraSai

I like the new guy! Where is your LFS ?
Red's Aquarium and Pet Supply, formerly Bellingham Pet Supply.

The garra is now named Parona, and she's doing fabulously. I tried to give her a neutral/either name like Ryan, but kept getting the feeling that a female name was 'right'. And the dynamics with Ryan have...changed. Ryan has been getting kind of...cuddly with Parona, for lack of a better term. Parona periodically chases her off, but it doesn't really help that much. And after watching the latest FISHTORY! videos about shoaling fish communication, I realize that for Ryan that it must be like speaking French while everyone else is an introverted Russian, so she's awkwardly trying to communicate in basic pidgin bodylanguage with the only fish that's (for now) her own size and thus 'safe' to get so close to. Before the garra arrived she had a possibly masochistic relationship with Sai where it looked like she enjoyed him chasing her and would only swim juuuust fast enough to juuuust stay ahead, and even if he got the drop on her he wouldn't bite and would purposely let her escape tight spots. Its interesting to watch, and Sai's doing the same with the newbie so no worries there.

Thanks to the video I felt guilty that Ryan didn't have anyone to 'talk' to for 10 months, and decided to get another rasbora, who, even if they weren't the same species would speak the same language. And the LFS yesterday happened to have exactly what I was looking for, blues and kubotais. I got one blue to see how things go, tho I am concerned he's very very small. So far he only seems to be eating stuff on the glass, but I am hoping he will switch to the same stuff Ryan eats: tiny flakes, dried daphnia, and Bug Bites, then Northfin Nano pellets and bloodworms (not all at one time, its a rotation). If he doesn't switch but is still able to subsist on what Parona is also eating, that's okay.

He (or she) sussed out the others well enough during the acclimation phase that he survived the night, and so far Ryan has noticed and interacted with the newcomer when he's in the front of the tank, but she's still trying to hang with the garra. XD Crawley doesn't give a damn, and Parona mostly doesn't either. If he doesn't make it a week, I'll go back and get one of the kubotai, who were bigger. I may still go back and get one more anyway, tho 5 fish in a 6 gallon is probably pushing it already. We'll see.

So the experiment continues!

--MS

UPDATE @ 4:10: I'm sure more experienced aquarists expected the 'cuddles' would turn into aggression and you would be right, as Parona got pissed and Ryan fought back. No one is injured or dead, but I gave them a sprinkle of chill (epson salts) which my plants get weekly anyway. Also the little blue ate a bit of flake so I think he's gonna be okay re: food, and spectating fights.

Last edited:

Oscars Rule

So did water change on the 125 today and feeding lots of baby sterbai Cory's and my aponogeton crispus is flowering too. All the containers in the tanks are different stages of my Cory's.

Attachments

• IMG_20240420_185251366_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240420_185251366_HDR.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240420_185116555.jpg
    IMG_20240420_185116555.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240420_185048817.jpg
    IMG_20240420_185048817.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240420_185029933.jpg
    IMG_20240420_185029933.jpg