Geophagus sp.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Very cool. Are you counting day 1 as the day the eggs were laid? I'd like to see pics/video of these at 4 weeks after that, to compare them to the size of mouthbrooder fry upon release. I'd expect them to be smaller, as mouthbrooder females invest much more germ plasm per egg.

Looks like you've had really good fry survival, so congrats on that! :thumbsup

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Very cool. Are you counting day 1 as the day the eggs were laid? I'd like to see pics/video of these at 4 weeks after that, to compare them to the size of mouthbrooder fry upon release. I'd expect them to be smaller, as mouthbrooder females invest much more germ plasm per egg.

Looks like you've had really good fry survival, so congrats on that! :thumbsup
Hatch day is what I am counting from.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Hatch day is what I am counting from.
What do you mean by 'hatch'? Wriggler? Free swimming? Yolk sac absorption? All important stages in the developmental clock, but egg laying is the only day that is totally unambiguous.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Wriggler, eggs took 3 days to hatch. Spawn was 21MAR so 3 weeks either way.
Great; that's what I thought. Could you post s pic of them next weekend, closeup if possible? I've been wanting to do this comparison for a while. It would be even better within the genus Geophagus, which contains both maternal and biparental mouthbrooders as well as substrate spawners, but this will do for now. Thanks! :thumbsup

sir_keith

Legendary Member
This is the evolutionary strategy of substrate spawners- produce a ton of fry, and four weeks later, do it all over again. At this point a mouthbrooder would be just getting ready to release batch #1. Granted, some of the more primitive mouthbrooders produce lots of fry, but the the more advanced (in evolutionary terms) mouthbrooders produce relatively few fry; in Tropheus, perhaps only 4-6 per brood. This is counterbalanced by fry survival. Just two of many different strategies for preserving the germ line, which is the whole point. :thumbsup

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
We often choose where we live based on distance to the nearest grocery store as that is our way of sourcing food. My striped rafael has just had a farmers market move into the area. :rofl

PXL_20210417_163156895.jpg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
1st group update: 3 casualties, 2 were from the sponge getting clogged and the fry tank overflowing. The little pump I was using was inducing a voltage into the tank. Figured that out by hand feeding thawed krill and having a small cut on my finger.
PXL_20210418_203833643~3.jpg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Second spawn are now free swimming but hug the bottom of the tank down amongst the small stones. The adults have pretty much removed all the gravel from the end of the tank and have moved the fry almost every day since hatch.