My fancy goldfish tank

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
A new challenge for me with the start of a fancy goldfish tank. Decided to start a new journal of this.

It starts with the tank being part of the fishroom of tanks
IMG_1724.jpeg
Lower left 65B will be new tank for the fancy goldfish
E459B066-04FA-422B-A649-64DB6686C78D.jpeg

I am going to do a full aquascape change out. Looking at a possible Asian theme...

Using a small gravel in the tank that is called large but is a 2-4mm. size. hopefully not too big that the goldfish eat it and gets impacted... I guess these guys are known to suck on rocks and sometimes they do swallow them.
91veMXlpMAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Will add more in future edits

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
These are the fish Ive ordered online.

First two fish are coming in from: https://kingkoigoldfish.com/collections/goldfish
- love the 'what you see is what you get' option with lots of pics.
(5/1 got confirmation fish shipped - they offered free two day guaranteed shipping if two fish were purchased)

Fish number one is a lionchu (cross between a Lionhead and Ranchu)
Screenshot 2024-04-30 113032 (1).jpg

Fish number two is also a lionchu (cross between a Lionhead and Ranchu)
Screenshot 2024-04-30 104435 (1).jpg

Third fish is coming from: https://www.goldfishisland.com/product-category/goldfish/
- also love the fact you have the 'what you see is what you get' option and they have swim videos of the fish too

3rd fish, side one (This is called a Ranchu Apache, male)
Screenshot 2024-04-30 114040.jpg
3rd fish side 2
Screenshot 2024-04-30 114120.jpg

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Starting them off with a fancy Hikari sinking pellet. Ordered on Amazon, should be here before fish arrive.

71mmhG+krJL.jpg
Want to do more research on foods but i figure this is a good start. Hikari has been in the feed business for a long time and fish have thrived on it.

I do know that my variety of goldfish should have sinking foods so they do not ingest too much air which would happen with floating foods. The Ranchu and lionheads are know swim bladder and bloat issue fishes so I will be careful with them.

An edit after some research. Swim bladder issues are so prevalent with some of these fancy goldfish that many have issues with hard pellet foods in general and have found success using a gel food instead. I may pick up some if I have this issue with mine.

IMG_1726.jpeg

Saw this too... because of the problems they have, there is a 'gas release' formula, not a joke, it's legit
KentsMain_1200x1200.jpg

Also was interesting high protein goldfish foods that encouraged fast growth and ‘wen’ growth or the hood on these goldfish. Reminded me of the claims of speciality flowerhorn foods…

HULX-Goldfish-Mass-Gain.jpg

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I looked at what I have for decor and not very excited
This is one choice. Petco bag has 1 large piece, 2 medium and 3 small. Not enough impact, would need another bag with at least one more large piece. Also worried about sharp edges...
IMG_20240501_194840651.jpg

This is my other choice, some smooth yard rocks. The colors go with the gravel but are kind of boring, but they are much safer on the fish. Would need to get a couple more...
IMG_20240501_200847525.jpg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn’t think that the sharp rocks would do much damage to those goldfish as they don’t appear, from first glance, to be fast fish like rainbow fish or silver dollars.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn’t think that the sharp rocks would do much damage to those goldfish as they don’t appear, from first glance, to be fast fish like rainbow fish or silver dollars.
I still feel like I would need a second tall piece in the tank… and its hit and miss getting that stone at Petco.

John58Ford

I'm going out Saturday if the fields are rained out(likely) if I see some nice individual rocks at any of my haunts I'll text you some pictures. Pretty cool stuff.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
My fish are out for delivery. Always have that bit of worry that they will come in safe. This is especially true when these are 2nd day as opposed to next day. But the seller gives the live guaranty on these with two day as long as they were qualifying fish and you had to order two. Kind of a no brainer with shipping at $50 and if you added a second fish (starting around $59) you got it free. Granted my fish were a bit more pricey but with the free shipping made it affordable.

Also weather is good, they are only coming up from California, and they can handle cooler temps that the tropicals I would normally order.

Hopefully next week's order goes well when it ships from back east somewhere.

Will post pics when the fish come in

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
They have arrived!

Dont see this often... keep cold, lol
IMG_20240503_124308380.jpg
Looks normal
IMG_20240503_124404102.jpg

Hey wait a minute, there are no fish in here... lol, they are in there
IMG_20240503_124412014.jpg

Instructions, nice!
IMG_20240503_124612267.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
They are so stinkin' cute! I feel like I own miniature manatee, lol
IMG_20240503_125044943.jpg
IMG_20240503_124814217.jpg
IMG_20240503_124841032.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Im going to have to try for more of these shots when they get into the tank
IMG_20240503_125132181.jpg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Some interesting facts about goldfish-

(i) Goldfish, Carassius auratus, have bee selectively bred in captivity for at least 1,500 years.

(ii) Global aquaculture produces more than 3 million tons of Carassius auratus annually.

(iii) Goldfish are tetraploid, like most food crops, making them genetically plastic. One subgenome is related to that of Cyprinids; the other is of unknown origin. The two subgenomes are differentially expressed in 'fancy' goldfish strains.

(iv) Goldfish have about the same number of genes as humans (~50,000).

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The fish seem settled in and even a little interactive. I feel as if they would even eat but instructions said to wait at least 48hrs… With the known issues these guys have with swim bladder and bloat, I figure I will listen and wait.

I did order a can of the special pellets that help with ‘gas release’ for future feeding

BPSabelhaus

We lost our 7 year old shubunkin a couple years ago over winter from that. It's a bummer.

I'm all for feeding, yay! But I agree to wait, especially if a big otherwise healthy shubunkin can get it from a mid winter warm stretch feeding of a bit of summer food :( He made it through indoors and did well over summer. But as soon as the cold weather hit he had trouble and passed away indoors (garage) after a week or so.

Live and learn. They tell me when they're done eating for the year and I didn't listen when they asked for food. I just toss my floaters in there and they pick at that occasionally.

Aside from allowing the pump to freeze this year and drain the pond .... All good lost no fish and still plus 2 from last years spawn. 61 water temps today, getting close. I'll be watching the water temps more later next week.

BPSabelhaus

That first pic lol

Looks like you offended one and now the other is mad lol

Cute little things for sure.

The "egg" (IIRC) shape body is what I love about the fantail goldies. Even a standard feeder goldfish with that tail has the hunched the body shape.

Obviously these ones have been further selected for more pronounced shapes, but even the very basic ones without the face bubbling or even any patterns just have a better look to them.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I caved and fed some frozen brine shrimp this morning
IMG_20240504_140933205.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well I like these guys a lot. I have one coming and ordered another.
IMG_1730.jpeg

That will be four fish in the 65B which will be a growout for a few months then Im moving them into the 90 when I move out the silver dollar fish.