What did you do with your tank(s) today?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Been doing a ton of research on goldfish and the Ranchu & Lionheads in particular. I had my 65B open up and decided I was going with some color and chose to order from two different places a couple of the goldfish. So I have one Ranchu and two Lionchu (A mix of Ranchu and Lionhead) coming. If they turn out to be something I really enjoy then I may move fish around and they may end up in a 90 gallon eventually.
These are the ones I ordered:
View attachment 13694
View attachment 13695
View attachment 13696
What is the lifespan on a goldfish like these? I assume they are human created, right?

It will be interesting to see them when they are adults.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
What is the lifespan on a goldfish like these? I assume they are human created, right?

It will be interesting to see them when they are adults.
A typical 10 - 15 year lifespan.

These are basically the original flowerhorns, lol. As man made as they come.

Idea as to what I hope to see as adults

Last edited:

sir_keith

Legendary Member
These are basically the original flowerhorns, lol. As man made as they come.
That's not true. Flowerhorns are interspecific hybrids. These things are hopelessly inbred lines harboring a host of recessive mutations. Man-made for sure, but completely different genetically.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
My use of the word "flowerhorn" was a bit of hyperbole. Not the fish or genetics themselves but just the ridiculous process of coming up with the the end product.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I like feeding after my regular lights go out and the nighttime blue lights are on. Turns my silver dollars into feeding monsters, lol. The skittish nature disappears and they are just ravenous eaters at that point.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Ordered some food from Super Cichlids. There was some talk a while back about Dr Bassleer BioFish foods, but the consensus was with us large cichlid keepers that we needed the 3XL pellet size. Of course the catch was that you could not find this size anywhere except Europe! Turns out that Super Cichlids had this size but only in the "Green" formula which is perfect for my large pearsei. Will see how he does on it. I think they were clearancing out the 3XL Green because the price was pretty decent. I was only able to get the one container of 68g (at $7.99) and no more were available in that size.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Yay, Confirmation email that my two lionchu are shipping out today from King Koi Goldfish. They offered free two day shipping with the purchase of two fish and they guaranteed live delivery this way too. That in itself is unusual since most companies may offer a two day but will not guarantee it like one day so it forces you to upgrade your shipping. The other fish should be shipping out on Monday or Tuesday next week and it is coming from Goldfish Island.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I had to go in to work this morning on my day off to get some extra stuff done and on the way home I stopped at Aquarium Paradise and picked up some frozen foods. I caved and fed the new fish some frozen spirulina brine shrimp.
IMG_20240504_140933205.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Just a typical weekend doing water changes and some tank cleanings.

This week I should have two more fancy goldfish coming in from online purchases.

And I am still looking to fill the 46g with something. Been looking for more Madagascar rainbows but Petsmart around me have been out of these for a while now. Had visited 3 different Petsmart and they did not have any, not sure if seasonal or what. Its comical to see this tank with the lone fish, who is very happy but it is just a blank canvas at this point. Looking to keep this as a community of smaller fishes.

BPSabelhaus

Started the glue up for my 8 gallon long now the wait and then the silicon. Get stoked about this one!
That's so cool. I'm just sitting by the pond about 20ft away from where I remember I have a nice sheet of dry plywood but in half lol So maybe sometime I'll do something similar. I have always loved those hexagon and whatnot terrariums and wanted to build one forever. You're inspiring me to do it. There's always free glass, I just need the tools.
And to actually study a bit more lol I know the basics and if the glass guy is gone, the kid sweeping floors at Lowes did a better job than the glass guy did anyway lol "I've only done this a few times"

Eh, it.was like 1/8 short. Had he cut it exact the lid wouldn't fit. Tight as is lol. If he can do it, I can. The rest is just math, which my neurologist says is 7th grade level. Should be ok lol

Feeding my new "pet"

I told my wife I put it outside last week lol

Last edited: