Zebra Tilapia

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Another fish of interest Heterotilapia buettikoferi, the Zebra Tilapia.

From what I have been reading its a large, aggressive fish that seems very owner responsive. Anyone raise these?
7843989D-9C61-473B-89B9-2291A0F09ECB.jpeg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, very aggressive fish, they have they really cool blue colored lips once they reach a size of about 9-10”.

personality similar to an amph. But with more aggression toward tank mates! I have used them in the past as dithers for growing out hemichromis fasciatus as they are one of the only fish that can survive them.

way back in 03-04 I had a 10” one in a 125” with an electric catfish:... that butte would still going bite the catfish even though I know he was getting shocked.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I also had a very unique one once with a crazy cool swirl pattern on one side.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Oh and just so you’ll know, they will also kill plecos, so in a 90g it would truly be a solo fish..... no catfish, no plecos, no anything else

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Oh and just so you’ll know, they will also kill plecos, so in a 90g it would truly be a solo fish..... no catfish, no plecos, no anything else
If I got one to replace the trimac then no big issue. He has a bristle nosed pleco with him but I can pull it out, no problem. The other 90 will have the big rhino.... that one I need to find the right tankmate(s) for.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
705E6699-4949-457E-BD03-FC13B2802BE1.jpeg EB2343CF-D81A-49C2-96BC-E30A8E27524E.jpeg I am really wanting to get some local hobbyist into the Madagascar cichlids since so many are endangered. There are so many amazing species available ( though most are kept on either the east coast, Canada, or Europe).

though I do love the polleni, id like to try nourassati ( but their conspecific aggression worries me.