Wow! substrate

keman

Thank you MattArmstrong for linking to http://www.manminco.com/ Just picked up 300 lbs of amazing #16 black substrate for just under $40

Anyone in the Seattle area who needs sand or gravel for their tanks should look these guys up. Great selection, amazing prices, Delivered right to your car or truck on the spot.

I got their #16 mix. It is just larger than fine sand with some very slightly larger mixed in and will look amazing under water with good lighting.

A

Anonymous

This would be a good one in the product review. Thanks for the info!! Hope you share pictures when you get everything all set up.

keman

Starting the scrub and rebuild over the next five days (Ya... I got a five day weekend) Tomorrow the plan is to catch the mutant ghost shrimp and see if it can survive in water with less than amazingly toxic levels of ammonia...

SonicsDC25

Been wanting to switch from fine play sand back over to pool filter sand in my 140G, wonder if they have any :)

keman

They have a great variety of substrate materials. At around $11 for a 100 lb bag, I think the quality is far better than play sand or pool filter sand. Looks nicer too.

LancasterK26

The substrate that Keman bought is so pretty!

And the dog there is absolutely wonderful. I spent a good 15 minutes just loving on him. About 27 years ago, after my Keeshound died, I swore that I would never own another dog. But spending time with this beautiful pit-bull puppy, I am reconsidering my decision. This is the first time in that 27 years that I have ever felt like getting another dog... Maybe one day...

keman

Not the greatest image, but you can gat an idea of the grain size and shine...

WP_20141126_001.jpg
#16 "jet black" is what they call it.

keman

It has some dust in it and will need to be washed. But then, just about anything you get even ready packaged from a pet store that says "pre washed" needs to be washed again. The price per pound and quality is what I go for.

Did a vinegar test on a small sample and got no fizz, not even the least bubbles. So no worry about it messing with PH.
The picture can't show just how nice this stuff really is.

keman

Been emailing back and forth with Mike from Manufacturers Mineral Co ( http://www.manminco.com/ ) You just don't find this level of customer service in ANY of the chain type stores. I'll buy from these guys again for any future tank set up. (like the 400 gallon we are going to build after the first of the year.)

keman

I'll ask. Looks like glass, but not like sharp shards or the like. Does not react to vinegar, so I am pretty sure it is not volcanic. They have a lot of variety to pick from other than what I chose as well. The lady at the front desk brought out several trays with samples you can feel and see up close. Neutral colors, Black, gray, etc. Lots of size choice too. Everything from powder sand to larger gravel. Way more choice than any fish store I have seen.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I love the looks of that. Sounds like it would be worth the trip for me when I build my in-wall tank in the future. Thanks for the info!

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
This company is where Shawn aka madness gets all of his awesome substrate from too. I'm needing to get up there soon!

When I was in they told me the black stuff is some kind of coal product (coal slag?), and they said there was some sort of caveat concerning its use in aquariums. I forgot what it was...since I wasn't interested in black. There are a lot of google results for "coal slag aquarium substrate" though...I'm sure many have used it.

keman

Don't mind it being coal slag, after a good thorough washing it will be a well planted tank, and well over filtered. After much research, I am comfortable using it. I may add some slightly larger natural gravel at the far end of the tanks for the bottom feeders too since just about any fine substrate can be an issue for them. The banjo cats actually like course sand since they burry themselves for most of the day.

Coal slag is really just the glass that is left after the coal is consumed in fire, and is great for planted tanks.