worm be gone

lars on

THERE ARE HUNDRES OF THEM. I pissed off their colonies and now there are hundreds of free swimming worms

wormz006.jpg

wormz007.jpg

panarama001.jpg

alexmuw

Those are nematodes. They're from having pockets of decaying food in your aquarium. They're relatively harmless (fish might even eat them if lucky)
Could be pinworms (doubt it). Look at fish poop, if have LOTS of worms, then pinworms.

Do a good gravel vac or cut back on feeding. Do a water change, etc....

lars on

The tanks been empty for over a week, and we completely drained it yesterday, but they showed up last night, after everything was cleaned AGAIN.

okay, so I drained the water after the first inhabitants died, filled it back up with lake tang water and was gonna let it cycle, then drained it AGAIN and added completely new water.

hmm, ill see if the midas will eat them or just let the cycle burn them alive. GOOD RIDANCE

and thank you!

Ashley

I would treat with prazi pro for tape worms and other parasites. All I know is worms are no good

icer711

hey i have seen those before i think it something in our water never saw it before till i move out here.. never have had any problem with them affecting my fish... i think they may have eaten them... on a side not i have seen them in my attempt to grow snails tanks... so i believe its something in the water........ IT CAME FORM THE PIPES :affraid:

Betty

Staff member
The first time I saw those were in a fry tank that I had overfed. But I did wonder how they got there to begin with. I hope they aren't in the water supply! :pale:

A couple of thorough vacuumings and cleaning of the filter media (not bio) got rid of them and not overfeeding kept them gone.

lars on

Took the heater out and turned the light off and they are GONE, tanks freezing. From what I can see there are like 2 on the front glass but the free swimming ones have disappeared, but Im gonna drain the whole tank again, new sand, boil rock and wood before anything goes back in. Add some holy water for safe measure.

THANK YOU GUYS FOR THE ADVICE, Im gonna pick up some prazi tomorrow, more meds the better

sandnuka

well especially because you dont have fish in there yet, do whatever you can to get rid of them now... adding chemicals, etc.... And makin the water cold probably didnt kill them, but make them kinda hibernate.... So when you heat it back up they could return.... Try to cook them, raise the temp to MAX! lol, you might have better luck that way.

or dump in some boiling water in the tank... that will cause temp to spike, and then just let it go back down slowly.

Paintguy

Someone told me once that if you dip a 9v battery in the water that the fish will swim faster... but my wife would not let me try it. Maybe the worms would come up.. hehe.

icer711

you need to be careful with the dumping the boiling water thing you could cause the glass to break if its to rapid temp change... you probably would be OK add it so some existing semi warm water though