will plattys. guppies and molllies breed in the same tank?

A

Anonymous

So I decided to try out this whole community tank thing. taking a break from red devils for awhile.I want to breed the community fish will they breed living together?? :D

CrazedAce

Guppies will breed even if they are separated, the female holds clutches of sperm for future use. They will all breed, but you will get hybrids eventually, which isn't bad, except that people deem them as sterile. Just male sure there is enough room for the fish and their fry, as overcrowding will is the #1 death of my guppies, due to high survival rate. Make sure to keep enough places in the tank for the fry to survive as well.

BillHN

CrazedAce said:
Guppies will breed even if they are separated, the female holds clutches of sperm for future use. They will all breed, but you will get hybrids eventually, which isn't bad, except that people deem them as sterile. Just male sure there is enough room for the fish and their fry, as overcrowding will is the #1 death of my guppies, due to high survival rate. Make sure to keep enough places in the tank for the fry to survive as well.
4005419133.gif

A

Anonymous

Ok thank for the advice I have them in a 20 tall how many do you think will be happily in there?

BillHN

earthfish said:
Ok thank for the advice I have them in a 20 tall how many do you think will be happily in there?
The 20 Tall from Ron right?

I have mine in a 20L

6x Black Mollies

5x spotted cories

4x mystery snails

8x guppies ( adults / fancy)

1x Female Betta (fry control :D)

And a boat load of fry / Mollies and guppies

No problems yet, and it's got and it's lot of plants in it along with decent hiding spots.

A

Anonymous

yes it's the 20 from ron how did you know?
I have 4 balloons mollies, 1 black mollies 2 pairs of guppiesm 4 plecos, two algea eaters , and like 6 tetras maybe more but they are tiny

CrazedAce

Rule for fish is 1" per gallon. Try not to go over it, if you do you can upkeep it with more frequent water changes, but you will still run the risk of stressing the fish out due to overcrowding and possibly get some nasty disease that could decimate the population.

I run a single 30gal with just guppies and BN juveniles. The tank is far from overcrowded and have started placing the juvenile males into my 28gal bowfront, where they are now threatening to overcrowd. You either need to be able to sell the offspring or whatever fish you don't want to a LFS or resort to using them as feeder fish. Once the weather warms up though, I'm going to start dumping them in my pond. :D

The main point is to keep up with the fish once they start really taking off. I used to try to "save" the fry by removing them, but 10-15 babies/week MINIMUM was getting tiresome. Here's my current method:

1- Place what appear to be juvenile males into breeder net located in the 30gal
2- IMPORTANT; After establishing that they are males, I transfer them into the all male tank. I have accidently put some really pretty females into the male tank and most of them began to lose their tails from fighting, and about six died before I realized what had happened.

Obviously if your not line-breeding you won't have to do this, just thought I'd share. Good luck with the fish! :D

BillHN

earthfish said:
yes it's the 20 from ron how did you know?
I have 4 balloons mollies, 1 black mollies 2 pairs of guppiesm 4 plecos, two algea eaters , and like 6 tetras maybe more but they are tiny
I talk to him a bit, he's cool people. if you ever want more guppies tell me, I have a boat load I'll just give em to yah man.

Rule for fish is 1" per gallon. Try not to go over it, if you do you can upkeep it with more frequent water changes, but you will still run the risk of stressing the fish out due to overcrowding and possibly get some nasty disease that could decimate the population.

I run a single 30gal with just guppies and BN juveniles. The tank is far from overcrowded and have started placing the juvenile males into my 28gal bowfront, where they are now threatening to overcrowd. You either need to be able to sell the offspring or whatever fish you don't want to a LFS or resort to using them as feeder fish. Once the weather warms up though, I'm going to start dumping them in my pond.

The main point is to keep up with the fish once they start really taking off. I used to try to "save" the fry by removing them, but 10-15 babies/week MINIMUM was getting tiresome. Here's my current method:

1- Place what appear to be juvenile males into breeder net located in the 30gal
2- IMPORTANT; After establishing that they are males, I transfer them into the all male tank. I have accidently put some really pretty females into the male tank and most of them began to lose their tails from fighting, and about six died before I realized what had happened.

Obviously if your not line-breeding you won't have to do this, just thought I'd share. Good luck with the fish!
Moving all the fry to the 29G when I get a chance (when work permits..), but I'm probably gonna feed them to my betta.

CrazedAce

Betta food, good idea. Your guppies don't nip at the female betta in the tank though? I keep a female betta with my platys, but I'm still fearful of putting one into the guppy tank :|

I have mostly crowntail/delta mix breeds that I keep, and I think the individual spikes would just flare the word "FOOD" at the guppies. I've also watched my friend throw a male into their guppy tank, it died within two weeks, had no fins. Lol

BillHN

Say what? My guppies would be terrified of the bettas I put in there, I got mine from a local breeder here too o_O
On the contrary, the betta (female) is hunting down babies for fun xD
I gave my other betta (ted) a whole bunch of baby guppies to eat at one point and uh yeah he's a happy betta (he ate all 19 of them eventually)

BillHN

Hmm, maybe I'll have to see :eek:

By the way, earthfish, my friend tanya, has a 150 gal with nothing but Mollies Platys and Guppies in the tank, and they all do well sooooo I think you should be fine :] (ps make sure u have a tank for all the baby fry that'll be coming out of the momma guppy, if you ever want some guppies I can give you some of mine, I don't care much for them seeing that I have over 40 of them already xD

A

Anonymous

BillHN said:

By the way, earthfish, my friend tanya, has a 150 gal with nothing but Mollies Platys and Guppies in the tank, and they all do well sooooo I think you should be fine :] (ps make sure u have a tank for all the baby fry that'll be coming out of the momma guppy, if you ever want some guppies I can give you some of mine, I don't care much for them seeing that I have over 40 of them already xD
Ok billHN I may have to come get some some time!

BillHN

earthfish said:
BillHN said:

Ok billHN I may have to come get some some time!
Okay sure thing!
These are free by the way! Just sharing the gift that my friend shared with me!

Just gimme a holler when you want em bud!