White Poop

Stingro

Where can I get medication for this. My male flowerhorn is discharging very long white poop and is not eating as much.

L190

metronidazole i believe is the drug of choice. the problem is that it needs to be fed to the fish for it to work. I believe i read somewhere you can use epson salt to treat / help out too.

Madness

Staff member
Yes, both epsom salt and Metro mixed into a paste liquid, then use a pipette to force the mixture down the throat of the fish.

I have also had good results by using parasite guard by Tetra. Use daily with daily water changes prior to each dose. Also while dosing this add a Tbl of Epson salt to the tank for every 5 gal of water in the tank

L190

You can find powder metronidazole at some LFS. I bought some powder metro at sierra a while ago

Stingro

Well, I have him in a quarantine tank now with epson salt. I will see how he does the next few days.

Stingro

I finally got some Mentronidazole and I will be adding it to the tank tonight when I get home. However, I also added Jungle's Fungus Clear cause I had it sitting around at home. Plus my flowerhorn has some fin rots so I thought it would do some good. Should I drain all of the water out before I add the Mentronidazole?

fishpatch

A lot of my cichlid when first bought secreted a white stringy poop most likely from switch in diet and being kept in unsatisfactory conditions at the farms they were raised in. I would put the fish on an easy to digest diet and daily water changes to see if it will pass within a day or 2. Then I would progress to medication if the conditions persist. Good luck hope you get this sorted out!!!

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

fishpatch

Always try to avoid using medications until you are sure that your fish has a given illness to avoid further damaging your fish.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Stingro

He is looking better and his kok has inflated back to full kok. He is now pooping greenish but I am still fasting him. I'll feed him soon and see if he will eat.