White Film/Slime On Inside of Aquarium Glass

A

Anonymous

I have been thinking my water was cloudy and it has been driving me crazy. Today I noticed there is a lot of white-ish film on the inside of the glass. It feels slimy. I scrubbed most of it off with a brush but does anyone know what this is caused by?

Madness

Staff member
I believe it is a form of algae. I am constantly wiping it off my tanks.

A

Anonymous

I have read that the white stuff is formed before it starts turning green. I have also read that it means there is an ammonia spike OR a certain brand of stress coat has caused it. Varying answers on the 'net so I figured I would check here and see if anyone has a more definitive answer. I feel as if there should be something that I can do to prevent it...

Anthraxx

it will eventually turn into algae. its easy to miss and will eventually turn into a brown/red algae. makes it easy to clean up. just wiping the tank down each week will help combat this issue. its part of my regiment :)

A

Anonymous

Thank you very much for your replies. I'm glad it is just algae. I have a couple Bristlenose Plecos in there but they mainly feed off the bottom of the tank and the rocks.