white film on arowana

Overnight issues.. bad day...got home this morning and my 125 gal tank was just to quiet. Went over to inspect..tank lights wouldn't come on. (powerstrip loose from wall...cats i think). All three filters were not running.. I wasn't home yesterday so these could have been off for two days. Serevums and cat fish look ok, arowana looks like he is covered in a white slimy film. Tested my ammonia and it was at 1-2ppm...swapped in some filters from my 55gal, doing 50% water change today and watching the aro going forward...hopefully this bounces back and i dont loose that lovely fish. also added ammonia block. crossing figers. i plan on not feeding for two days aswell. any one have any other suggestions?

CrashSmAshley

That would be a nightmare! Sounds like you're doing great, I'd just test the parameters again later to make sure everything is going okay. Good luck!

Kianna

You can go heavy on the PRIME too with your water changes. It helps with ammonia & nitrites if it does a mini cycle. I think you can do 4-5x the recommended dosage. Good stuff!!

Good luck....

larry.beck

I'd start with a large water change - up to 80% - and immediately throw some airstones in to get the O2 levels up quickly.

ok so i did a massive water change , switched my filter media around from other tanks, added an air stone and an ammonia binding product. will be checking me water tomorrow before and after another water change. Thanks for all the support. my aro's white film is gone after the large water change.. making me think its from the higher than normal ammonia. i will be keeping an eye on him.

protocl

the clear slime, i think is its actual slime coat; probably kicking in to help the aro. stay healthy, natural defense.

sandnuka

Amquel Plus

If you still have a nitrite, amonia problem get some amquel plus.... Stuff reeks horribly.... But, smell goes after awhile when in water.... Does the trick as far as nitrite and amonia.... Only thing I found was it reduces nitrates allot too, so not the best stuff if your tryin to cycle your tank, but in your case, Im sure you nitrate levels are threw the roof as well.
Otherwise, daily 50% waterchanges, pretty much keep up what youve been doing.... and i think that slime was to protect the fish..... they secrete it as a natural defense mechanism... cool fish.

hey thanks for everyones comments a little up date after the first large water change my hn3 levels were halfed, did a second 1/3 water change the following day really helped my water quality.. as of today there is no longer a white film on the arowana he apears more active and looks alot better. although now my serevums are spawning in that tank. I am about to test my water once again, just going to keep an eye on it and see how things go