Which fish should I get???

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I have one sole angel in with my breeding group of BN. I love the addition of this fish to the tank. She looks awesome in there. However, for her own good, I need to move her to my 90 gallon. She will NOT stop eating the pleco food and is so fat I don't think it's good for her. :( I definitely have the room in my 90 so she will do well in there too and not be able to gorge herself on Graze and Veggie Krill, who can really blame the girl lol.

So my question is, I need ideas for a middle to top dwelling "center piece" fish(es) for my 30 gallon tank. What are your ideas? Throw them out there!

flamechica

I am interested to see what suggestions you get. I was thinking about this the other day, because all of my fish are bottom dwellers. So, I need to mix it up a bit myself.

ziggyzoo

flamechica said:
I am interested to see what suggestions you get. I was thinking about this the other day, because all of my fish are bottom dwellers. So, I need to mix it up a bit myself.
Lol same

Bob

The dwarf neon (praecox) actually get to be a good size. I have five adults and they are 3-4 inches. I wouldnt put them in a spec v. But they would do well in the bowfront.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I thought about those too bassetman, the neon I was thinking for the spec v are irian red neon rainbows P. cf. paskai

Bob

Yea those are nice, i am a fan of all Pseudomugils. I keep 6 of them by themselves in a 40 gallon lol

hose91

I stumbled across this nice page on about.com the other day: http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/beginnerinfo/a/fishlevels.htm

It's not terribly comprehensive, but has a nice collection of popular fish grouped by the levels they prefer. I too am looking for a school of mid to upper level fish for a 30G with some kribs and juvenile laetacaras, who are mostly lower levels. I thought about marbled hatchetfish, but my water seems too alkaline for them. I'm leaning toward bleeding heart tetras now, but also thought about some pencil fish or rainbows. I do have 9 harlequin rasboras that are going on a year old in a 10G with some corys, and they've become a nice deep pinkish black and school occasionally. They would go well with your angel, maybe.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I won't own hatchets lol I had them in the past and unless you have a 100% secure top they WILL commit suicide. All 6 dried up on the floor. Uhg.

ArtPleco

make multi layer bottoms in the tank. and fool the plecos thinking they are at the bottom when they are in the middle. haha Working on this idea, which is why I am bringing it up.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Not a bad idea. However I just purchased a pinoy male angel for my blue silver gold marble veil female! BABIES!!!

hose91

What did you end up getting for your 30G? I just added 8 platties to my 29G that also houses a couple of dwarf cichlids (Kribs and laetacara) and a BN pleco. They go well in my harder, more alkaline water. I got 4 blue tuxedo and 4 what I would call red tuxedo, they look just like the blue ones but red. I liked that they were easy to sex so I got 1M/3F of each color. They are super friendly and active in the top level of the tank and have added nice color and so far have held their own with the cichlids (who they outnumber and mostly outsize).

In that same trip, I also added 6 blue neon rasboras (sundadanio axelrodi) to my 10G with pseudomugil gertrudae rainbows. They've also turned out to be a very nice "nano" addition to that tank (which also houses shrimp and is pretty well planted). They've been pretty bold, eat flake without issue, are a spectacular blue, and seem to be fairly happy and well adjusted after just over a week in the tank.

The fish additions don't always go well, as we all know, so I was pleased to see both of these work out pretty well. (The julies and kribs I "rescued" at the May GSAS auction are doing less well, but there is hope they'll pull through!).