Which Canister Filter Are You Using?

IceBerg

I was wondering what brand and model of canister filter everyone is using? There are a lot of canister filters out there and I could use your reviews. The advice I have gotten so far is to buy an Eheim Classic Plus Filter. Has anyone used this filter? And would the Eheim 2215 Filter Classic Plus (up to 93gal) work for my 55gal planted tank? Or should I get the 2213 that is rated up to 55gal?

A

Anonymous

I used to use Rena xP2's..but now I use a sump and will never go back!

protocl

Will run a fluval fx5 and a Rena xp4 for a 180G.
I'd say, any canister that will allow easy maintanence of the in/out Tubings are a good buy.
The xp4 needs a little more patience when repriming, though.

larry.beck

I run a Fluval FX5 on my 125g and absolutely love it. I also run a Fluval 405 on my 55g and like it a lot, but don't love it. I have some issues with getting it primed properly whenever I service the unit. The FX5 have no such problems though.

shua

fx5, cascade 1000 and sump the ish out of everything soooooo much more effective and custom for every kind of tank but i would go with the one rated @ 95 G because plants can cause some weird chemistry

hbluehunter

Right now i have 2 FX5's on my 300 and love them.. I've ran the Fluval 405, 304, and the smaller 104 in the past and liked them all except the priming part was always a pain for me. :cry:
I've never used the Eheim before but i know there loads of Eheim lovers out there so they can't be bad.

IceBerg

Wow, we have a lot of Hagen Fluval users on this board. Over at TFK.com they mostly use Eheim. I guess I will have to check out the Fluval 305 Canister Filter that is rated up to 70 gallons.

flo77

I use Eheim 2026, SunSun303B,Rena XP1, Fluval305 and that,s the order I would recommend.
For small aquariums up to 20gal(I use it for 10gal)- Tom Rapids C-8o it is pretty cheap I think I bought 2+shipping under $60
To answer to your question I would definetly use Eheim 2215 instead of 2213

Digsy

I've used Fluvals, Marineland, Renas and Eheims and I love my Eheims. The Marinelands are probably a close second but I'd definitely go with Eheim classics over just about anything. For your setup, I would go with the 2215.

Gosu

eheim all the way baybeh i will have a dozen of these if i can find em for a good price lol

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
For your planted tank, i'd go with whatever is the least expensive. As it'll barely be doing any workload, mostly just water movement. You'll want the outlet, far below the level of water, so you don't gas off your co2.

I don't remember who, but i talked to someone who, had actually tried these jaebo filters from ebay and said they worked just fine.
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-STAGE-CANISTER-AQUARIUM-FILTER-FRESH-SALT-WATER-/160404927985?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2558e0f5f1
At this price it's hard to beat. $60 shipped to your door. All filters are basically the same. Different build quality, and marketing gimmicks is what affects price.

The best filter i've used, dollar to usefulness ratio is the Fluval fx5. However would be much overkill for your planted tank. I really like eheim pro series, however they are spendy. If I needed to buy a filter today, for a 55g planted. I would order the ebay one I linked.

protocl

Cory said:
For your planted tank, i'd go with whatever is the least expensive. As it'll barely be doing any workload, mostly just water movement. You'll want the outlet, far below the level of water, so you don't gas off your co2.

I don't remember who, but i talked to someone who, had actually tried these jaebo filters from ebay and said they worked just fine.
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-STAGE-CANISTER-AQUARIUM-FILTER-FRESH-SALT-WATER-/160404927985?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2558e0f5f1
At this price it's hard to beat. $60 shipped to your door. All filters are basically the same. Different build quality, and marketing gimmicks is what affects price.

The best filter i've used, dollar to usefulness ratio is the Fluval fx5. However would be much overkill for your planted tank. I really like eheim pro series, however they are spendy. If I needed to buy a filter today, for a 55g planted. I would order the ebay one I linked.

wow..ill remember that one.

lars on

Piked up a brand new magnum 305 yesterday and sisters goldie tank is SPARKLING clear, never seen it like that in the 2 years we have had it running. Also have a rena xp2, but not long enough for a review :)

ledieudufromage

Fluval 103 all the way! I'm using it on a 10g in my window I'm keeping new plants in for a while. I picked it up for $5 dollars at Bainbridge's Rotary Auction a few weeks ago.

I also have found in my possession 2 Mairineland magnum 350s (one came with a biowheel. might I say a poorly engineered device), A fluval 403, and a xp3. The xp3 in the only one that has never had problems, but all are running great right now.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Currently using 2 Cascade 1500's on my 120g. They have a lot of by pass but I cant complain too much for the price I got them for on line. I am currently considering a Eheim 2260 classic or 2080/2180 to replace at least one of my 1500's. Just need a bit more research and money.