When does fry aggression set in?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
When does fry aggression set in?

Here is the deal, Ive got 3 red devils from Mel O stock. They are about 3/4" to 1" and seem to get along just fine at this point. I also have a 2" midas in the same tank that 'owns' everyone and chases like its going to kill. It has established a little territory that he has dug out and defends. Right now I have the midas in a time out net to let the others get healed up and eat. I still see no major aggression from these red devils toward each other. Just the light bickering when its time to eat. Will I see a surge of aggression as they hit the 2" mark or do I have a freakishly mean midas?

Just a side note: most likely these red devils are actually Citrinellus or a midevil (midas/red devil mix), the 2" midas was from The Wet Spot and I have no clue where its from.

Madness

Staff member
I would venture to say that your Midas is a MiDevil, and the incorrectly marked Devils you have are actually Midas. Time to start referring to them as what they are. :suspect:

Now, as for your question. It all depends. LOL I have 11 grow outs right now that are 2" and do great.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The Wet Spot never disclosed the origin to me when I asked before. Who knows, it could have been a local guy with a mutt (MiDevil).

Mels Midas are a lot more mellow. They are voracious cannibals, when I bought them one had part of a sibling lodged in this throat and I had to use tweezers to remove it! :affraid:

Aggression toward each other is the normal type, not the Im gonna kill you shown by the midevil. So far watching them, the largest (the cannibal) is the most easy going and leaves the pleco alone and the catfish. The middle one is also pretty easy, but Ive watched the smallest go after the pleco and cat. Not that I am basing everything on this behavior right now, but it does seem to indicate the type of personalities I may be dealing with. Since Im looking for a community fish it is important they can get along with others.

A

Anonymous

In my fry, I usually start to see a spike in aggression at about 2". But thats just my current fry. And as we all know, every fish is diffrent.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks VW, that kind of what I was wondering. The bigger midevil is showing outrageous aggression and the little guys almost none. I will see what happens in a month or so when they get some size on them.