What's wrong with my fish!?

stierwalt3

What's wrong with my fish!?

Four of my Saulosi have been just resting on the sand all day not doing much! Not sure what the deal is...I did a water change last night but nothing out of the norm! Is there something I can do to perk them up!?

larry.beck

Re: What's wrong with my fish!?

Did you turn the heaters back on? Check the temp, it almost sounds like the heater(s) are stuck on and the tank is too hot... can't think of any other reason they'd hang at the bottom.

Betty

Staff member

Are they still interested in eating?

stierwalt3

Yep heater is on. I'm not sure what to think now...i feed them and they all popped up and eat. Now only one has gone down to the bottom again and the others are swimming around like nothing was ever wrong. Maybe I just freaked out too soon!?

stierwalt3

BTW i added a moon light to the tank yesterday and used it for the first time last night not sure if that would have an adverse effect on them!? :|

censeoflife

The males in my tank hide all the time, trying to stay out of trouble. And I can see them sitting in weird angles behind rocks and stuff. Do they have plenty of places to hide? A place to make a cave, or dig in the sand?

stierwalt3

Yeah they have plenty of places to hide,but you might of hit the nail on the head! When I did the water change I filled all the spots that were dug out from under all the rocks....I was about to loose my stack it was leaning pretty bad! They all seam fine today!? :cheers:

Here's what my tank looks like these days.

stierwalt3

:lol!: pain in the ass fish had me all stressed out! In the 7 weeks I've been back in the hobby I haven't lost a fish yet...knock on wood! :violent:

stierwalt3

Thanks Mikey,
I know the cichlid caves kinda through off the natural look of the tank...right!? Be honest! ;)

larry.beck

stierwalt3 said:
Thanks Mikey,
I know the cichlid caves kinda through off the natural look of the tank...right!? Be honest! ;)
You might consider throwing one behind each of the big plants at the end so they're not so visible if you'd prefer a slightly more natural look. I personally think the rock stack looks pretty good, but would suggest closing up the holes some next time you end up having to restack. Mbuna will work themselves into incredibly small crevices in the rockwork and usually prefer those over bigger holes. Also the saulosi you have will stay pretty small. :)