whats the gender and type of these cichlids

baglel10

fish 1 sex and type of fish plz
fish 2 sex and type plz
fish 3 sex and type plz
fish 4 sex and type plz

thanks for helping me out guy this has bin buggin me for a while of the gender of my fish and what type they are :king:

sidekicking

Ok number three looks like a Pseudotropeus saulosi-male
number 4 jewel-guessing male
number 1 kinda looks like a blue cobalt

sandnuka

the only one I will comment on for sure is #4.. jewel cichlid (Hemichromis bimaculatus), and guessing female, cause lack of jewels, and red.... but, when he/she matures could develope a nice red tint, and more color..... Sex can really only be determined by venting your fish.... check my post on sexing your fish in the breeding topic.

The rest of your fish look like random rift lake cichlids...

me

number 1 looks like a Labeotropheus Fulleborni, possibly male. Could also be a fat Trevasse (spell check)

Betty

Staff member
I agree that #1 looks like a Labeotropheus fuelleborni. #3 looks like a Pseudotropheus demasoni, but color on the photo looks washed out, so I'm not sure of that.

sandnuka

Wow, looks like someone beat me to it..... obviously, I agree with betty.... This is what I was gonna say,

"so I will take another shot although Im not the greatest at these fish, there so many... .lol..... Pseudotropheus demasoni. Not sure about sex.... gorgeous fish for sure... one of my fav. african guys. Like, I said, not 100% but pretty sure..."

No clue on the sex, or if they can be sexed by that picture..... think the girls look exactly like the boys... you might need to look at they naughty parts :laughhard:

Betty

Staff member
:p

And I agree on the naughty parts. Unless you see them holding, it's hard to tell male from female.

Bagel, demasoni are very aggressive cichlids and it's recommended to keep only one or at least a dozen to spread that aggression around.

Here's a pic of one of mine for comparison. Does this look like the fish you had?
37c79624.jpg

baglel10

Betty said:
:p

And I agree on the naughty parts. Unless you see them holding, it's hard to tell male from female.

Bagel, demasoni are very aggressive cichlids and it's recommended to keep only one or at least a dozen to spread that aggression around.

Here's a pic of one of mine for comparison. Does this look like the fish you had?
37c79624.jpg
ya but the white was more of a darkish blue i loved this fish its ha a shiny gills of blue :king:

Doza

me said:
number 1 looks like a Labeotropheus Fulleborni, possibly male. Could also be a fat Trevasse (spell check)
Number 1.... IS a FUELLEBORNI FEMALE!!!. trust me on this.. She has Nowhere close to a pointed dorsal and at the size of that fuelleborni the coloration is too dull brown to be a male.. male fuellebornis get a bright bluer color than females which you can sometimes see a blueish hue that comes thru the brown.. I have a female that looks alot like yours and i have 2 OB females..

To know if it is a labeotropheous.. This is the only fish i know of off hand that has the large fleshy looking bump on there snout..
As far as it being a labeotropheus trewavasae.. I THINK NOT... It is nowhere close to being long enough at all to be that.. And she is hardly fat at all...

Number 4 Defiantly a Jewel cichlid.. As far as sex.. Cant really tell.. Jewels are difficult to sex as far as visuals go.. No real eye spots and dorsal fins dont really grow like most male cichlids... Umm if you had other fish you could observe agression and any courting going on which would tell you who was male female.. But im guessing you only have one Jewel..

The other 2 i couldnt tell you..

larry.beck

Number 3 is definitely a Ps. demasoni. The barring extends into the dorsal fin and the dorsal has the trademark white stripe along the tips. If it were Ps. saulosi the barring would stop at the top of the body and it would have a larger black stripe along the tip of the dorsal.

baglel10

ok i checked the vent on the jewl its a boy and #1 is howing yellow scales alot behind the gills and some on the body hope that helps might change everones gess on it :king:

Doza

baglel10 said:
ok i checked the vent on the jewl its a boy and #1 is howing yellow scales alot behind the gills and some on the body hope that helps might change everones gess on it :king:
I told you #1 is a Fuelleborni Female.. LOL... I AM thee expert on fuellebornis on here.. lol The ill even take a pic of my female and show you... :x

icer711

#2 looks like a kenyi but a bad angle to tell for sure and if it is it would be a female the males turn yellow
kenyi401.jpg