whats a good fish to breed?

What is a good fish to breed in a 75 gallon tank that can live in the tank for life and possibly profit from the offspring or at least supply the hobby. Its a friend of mine who is going to have the setup. I think angels would be nice, I really like the look of true texas cichlids though. I think a breeding pair of salvinis would look nice but common in fish stores.. Lyonsi would probably be cool. Suggestions are welcome. also open to other nob cichlid fish breeding as well

earthfish

Does He plan on buying a bigger tank? If so dovii, midas, red devils, oscars, Pretty much the basics. But also GUPPIES would look awesome in a 75

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Honestly the fish I see all the time at a pretty high price as young but you just cant give away when big..... Oscars. I dont know of any who breed them in the area but of course all the stores carry them. Even small ones fetch a pretty good price. Key is to find a good stock to begin and then try your hand at it. Problem is Oscars are hard to sex and they seem to need to be pretty big to breed so the tank may become small real quick.

I was actually interested in breeding oscars myself. i dont think my friend would want oscars though. and your right that tank might get really small for a pair of oscars. I might have to make a mental to take oscar breeding up one day. i think it would be a rewarding experience. i like oscars.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Look at what others are breeding and do something different. :tongue:  Kind of a joke but serious. Some breeders have flooded the market with certain types of fish so you wont make any money off them. Some are also so obscure that many dont have a clue and wont buy them. I would look at good bread and butter stuff, like Jack Dempsey, Firemouth, or live-bearers.

KaraWolf

It would be awesome if you could get your hands on true endlers. Tiny but brilliant and not a common find....though they interbreed with guppies so you couldn't keep the two together and sell them as true endlers.

....I happen to have given in to the urge to buy two today so pretty but alas I believe they are both male and are going in my 2.5 gal tank.

Madness

Staff member
Midway has an amazing looking pair of green terrors for sale. They are already a pair and they look amazing. They say they can reach 12" for the male, but 10" is more like it, female even smaller.

The male looks exactly like this:
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

Or how about a beautiful pair of Vontahillo Carpintis: This is a pair from Cavamart down in Oregon.
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

Madness

Staff member
I didnt ask, because I really wanted them.  LOL  

Id even say that the male there looked better than the male above.  His pelvic fins were even a nice orange color.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Dang it madness, if you would have asked the price for them, that would have meant that I would have had a shot to see them in person....,, after you bought them.

freddieb

What about African cichlids?  The types and varieties are so broad (almost too broad) that you'll have too many to choose from.

I had a breeding pair of Daffodils that bred like rabbits. I had 3 generations in a 30 gallon tank. The babies sold quickly. When I sold the pair, it sold in a matter of days too.

I always thought the Electric Yellow Labs were cool also.  Very prolific breeders, but my male decided to kill all of his wives.

DaffodilCichlidWFCiaf_Ap18BT.jpg

yellow-lab-lg.jpg