What To Add?

F.Banks

I'm looking for ideas for a 10gl. tank. I want to relocate a single Peppered Cory(& add 5 or 6) and 2 Neons to the 10gl.. I want something different for another tank
described below.

20gl. long: 4 Bolivian Rams( to pair off a set), 8-10 Pygmy Corys, 6-8, Harlequin Rasboras and a Honey Gourami.

I'd be happy to entertain suggestions for both! Thanks!

sandnuka

either tank should have a pair, or trio of apistogramma cacatuoides .... those guys are sweet... you get all the cichlid attitude packed into a small 10gal fish.... otherwise a pair of any small cichlid will work.... like I just picked up some neolamprologus lelupi.... a single pair of those would be great in a 20gal. :)

good luck deciding... let us know what you decided and show pictures!

F.Banks

I'll look up your suggestions as I'm not familiar with those names.

As for pictures I'll have to invest in a camera. Someone told me it doesn't matter how many megapixels. Is that true! y budget is between no and low!

F.Banks

I like the Apistogramma Cacatuoides. I was going to say I could live with them, but instead I'll say I wouldn't mind them as neighbors! lol! Hey Thanks.

As I like just about all fish which makes selecting difficult for a newbie! Would someone point me to a couple sites where I can learn how to select compatible tank mates? I don't want to pester you all with questions. Maybe just run a few by you before I make a mistake(or two...)!

sandnuka

Your questions are most welcome here! We love to help in the forum! My typical rule is not mixing lakes, or rivers... if i start a tank with Lake tanganyika, I try to stay with that lake fish... If my tank has amazon fish, I again try to stay with the amazon.... As far as water parameters, you dont want to mix africans cichlids, and new world cichlids... they recquire different levels of PH and water hardness. I just use Google to search for a specific species care and it usually list compatable tank mates.

Our sponsor bobbys water world will have apistogramma cacatuoides on thursday! so if you want to pick some up his store is in everett... just contact him in email to set up a time ( bobbyswaterworld@gmail.com )

I just got a nice 8 mega pixel camera from the pawn shop for 20 bucks.... so thats where I would go if budget is a problem.

protocl

F.Banks said:

As for pictures I'll have to invest in a camera. Someone told me it doesn't matter how many megapixels. Is that true! y budget is between no and low!
that 'person' is right and wrong. what i mean is: the more megapixel that camera is made with, if printing pictures, editing, cropping is a main issue; high MP is much more better to work with.
IF, you or anyone is just using a camera to post on great forums like wafishbox, 3 to 8 megapixel is fine.

regarding digital camera's, the sensor is the MOST important of ALL; but that is a totally different issue.

icer711

protocl said:
F.Banks said:

that 'person' is right and wrong. what i mean is: the more megapixel that camera is made with, if printing pictures, editing, cropping is a main issue; high MP is much more better to work with.
IF, you or anyone is just using a camera to post on great forums like wafishbox, 3 to 8 megapixel is fine.

regarding digital camera's, the sensor is the MOST important of ALL; but that is a totally different issue.
very nicely said
i liked photo detail and ease of use my digital cannon elph had... and it was a 6mp the A series cannons pack a punch and are fairly budget friendly

alexmuw

I've always been a sucker for a planted tank with Neon Tetras. First tank I ever saw, and have been hooked since.

F.Banks

Thanks for the advice everyone. I didn't even think of a pawn shop!

I should remind you I'm new on the computer so am technically challenged too! So whats second nature to most of you is a confusing new world to me!

Maybe I should change my username to ?'salot! Chuckling!

Fern

The peppered corys should go into the 20g long and the pygmy corys should go into the 10g. Corys are very active fish and the larger guys should be in a 20g to be happy.
You have too many fish planned for both tanks as well.....

F.Banks

Hmmm! Sounds like I need to go back to the drawing board! It will be a month or two before
I can afford to consider to start stocking anyway. I'll start doing some research and reevaluate
my selections. Then everyone can sort out the mess! lol!

I certainly want to have a good mix of compatible fish where they are comfortable and aren't stressed. Put their needs before my wants!

Thanks for your input Fern!