What Snails

ledieudufromage

I just made a deal with my LFS to trade baby platys for, well whatever. I'm thinking snails. What type should I get? They have a good number available, including Nerite.

Mikey

icer711 said:
i vote Nertie i personally love them
Agreed. And I got my only one from this awesome guy. ^^^ I like them because they don't take over your tank, but they do leave white eggs everywhere...

icer711

yes some of my fish have been know to eat the eggs but they will not hatch in freshwater, also the snails wont eat live plants either they prefer algae even the black and brown stuff wish i would of taken pictures of a before and after of some black algae they took care of for me (need to use the decor but didn't want to take the time to scrub it lol )

Mikey

Yup, I was at icer's house one week and there was algae on everything, then the next week I came over, and they were spotless!!! :beer:

A

Anonymous

Another vote for Nerites! I have Olives, Zebras, Tigers and Red Spotted..AWESOME cleaners..and as mentioned, will not breed in fresh water

sandnuka

My LFS carrys gold snails?? dont know anything about snails, wanted to pick some up..... asked about nerite, the guy had no clue, just said the gold ones was all they carried? lol.... they will hire anyone these days.

A

Anonymous

I think you have to go to a real LFS to get Nerites. I got 10 on ebay and 30 at Midway.

Betty

Staff member
I got mine at Sierra Fish and Pets in Renton. They were $1.99 each. The sizes and types varied.

A

Anonymous

The Nerites are pretty much known for their cleaning abilities and their inability to breed in fresh water, that's why I got them.

sounguru

Nerites and Chilton are both excellent algae eaters as far as finding them local it seems to be hit or miss and the selection in limited.

Olives are the best and are a North American species so if you know any one in the Florida area they can find them in the wild, but the Chilton (horned nerites) are my favorite for looks.

sounguru

I know the store I do maintenance for will order them in if they are available. Right now though we are installing a new system so probably not for a couple of months. If you don't mind hitting the net there is a real good dealer I can direct you towards that I have done business with many times.